Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you run the world?

PARTY!!!!!!!! Everything is on me!!!!! I would probably be in a drunken stupor for the first few months, but after that I'd get around to solving all the world's woes and blah blah blah.... seriously if power corrupts then ultimate power.........you know the rest.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I don't think it's possible to act as a benevolent dictator for too long, before getting excessively greedy. But if I was gonna act as one, I'd set up some policies, rehabilitation instead of punishment. To plea insanity in a court case isn't an excuse. I'd try to work on the judicial system. I'd get a small committee of 3 Jewish, 3 Muslim, and 3 Christians to try and resolve the Middle East conflict. I'd offer all terrorists a position of power in my government so that they'd feel special. Then I'd get some people to right up a new constitution, improving on the U.S. one, and implementing European stuff. Then I'd make Hypocrisy such a crime that a politician could be removed from office if he's found guilty of it. Finally, I'd elect a president and continue to act solely as a figurehead, living in the lap of luxury, skimming off tax money and generally having a corrupt, materialistic life.
    Why am I still here?

The first thing I would do is get rid off about 90-95% of the golf courses in the world. Golf courses are the biggest waste of land in the world. And the most costly. By the time you add in land cost, fertilizer cost (in both money and environmental impact), the cost of keeping the grass cut at about 2 inches tall, water usage to keep the grass green, paying caddies to walk around, power up golf carts, the fact that a game cost at least $35 where I live. All for the thrill of hitting a little ball across the grass into a little hole with a big stick.

I say plow all the golf courses under and plant food. I think that with the amount of money and time put into golf courses you could feed all the starving people in the world.

Just my little input into this discussion.
    Random Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Well since this is only fantasy.

I'd probably take serious action in destroying any form of govenment. Repeal all laws, and shut off all utilities (eg. water, electricity, gas) and watch how fast the world goes into chaos.

You may not go with it or try to stop it. But there is such a large majority of people that would totally take advantage of what I did.

Remember this is only a fantasy, and I have plenty of em'
    Not all necessarily bad.

DIGITALshimmerz ~ Ðã*å~/\/\â§*ë|2
    http://mars.walagata.com/w/azgard/sanzo88.gifThe sharper the edge, the cleaner the wound. So, I\'ll be keeping it dull tonight for I deserve to hurt

power corrupts so you got to abuse it as fast as you can just kidding....
    i'd probably start out as a total dictator while i get in place a fairer system to everybody and then i'd resign after having instored st patrick as a worldwide vacation day (instead of the first of may) and eveyone has a drink on the taxes that we pay and those who don't drink i hpe you like gingerale !!!!
    powers corrupt no matter what you must be willing to make sacrifices that will hunt you for the rest of your life and that others might never forget!! no matter what you do there are 3 sides your theirs and the truth and you are probably not the closest ....

take a example: napoleon some call him a dictateur and some a democrate (the real meaning)
    true he took power in a coup d'etat and waged war all over europe (he didnt burn moscow !!)
    but he was extremely popular and most of the laws he wrote for the french code of laws were retired in 1989 or something like that is almost a full 100 years later ... that is a serious problem how can u be a total dictator while your legacy kept on going for a centrury...
    what do you think ?
    assembly.... digital dna ?

I might search out all the top bosses who have fired millions of workers around the world and eliminate them, take their money, their positions away. Then I'd work on global job creation which would solve many problems.
    It must be them again. Start the response cycle.

Originally posted here by Alcatraz
    Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Power corrupts? No, being human corrupts. Desire can corrupt. All power does is make the corruption visible and make it have larger consequences.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Knowledge is Power, and power corrupts. Time is Money, and Money Also Corrupts. Therefore Knowledge = Time, which explains why old people know so much.
    Rubber Bullet Kisses, Baton Courtesy, Service with a Smile - SOAD

How would I run the world? My rule would come down to a few basic laws:

1. Don't lie.

2. Don't cheat.

3. Don't steal.

4. Don't hurt the person or property of another.

Of course, there is a lot more to this, such as taxation, economic policies, due process, penalties for criminals, and other small things, but those are lengthy issues and cannot possibly be explained in one post, so I'll state them as basically as I can.

As far as taxation, I would charge just enough to cover government expenses, and if there is any left over, it will be given back to the people in the hopes that they spend it quickly, therefore stimulating the economy. The cool part is that some of it will be given back to the government in the form of sales tax! There will be two basic forms of taxes; income and sales. There will be no crap like cigarette taxes, marriage taxes, property taxes, etc. Income tax will not include inheritance, and sales tax will not include sale of essential items such as food and clothing.

I will promote a free trade economy, since the whole world would be under one monarchy. Since there are no complications due to different economies, there would be no logical purpose to impose tariffs.

For due process, I will just inherit the U.S. due process system with a few tweaks. The big one is this problem with people getting away with crimes due to loopholes and technicalities. To fix this, I more strictly enforce legislative intent, and if it is ruled that a certain technicalities could have changed the outcome of the trial, necessary remedies will be performed. I will also merge the inquisitional and adversary judicial systems. The lawyers will only be there to ensure both sides of the issue are covered, all evidence is explored properly, and the trial is fair.

Penalties for criminals will be a simple thing. Whatever they did will be done to them as precisely as is reasonably possible. So if somebody raped a woman, he will be raped (preferably by volunteer). Of course, measures would be taken to make sure it's unpleasant. If somebody blows up a building, that obvously cannot be redone on the person, as the crime is so terrible. In such cases, I would suggest torture. It may sound horrible, but it would serve as a wonderful deterrent. It would also save money on prisons since imprisonment would be a rare punishment. For repeat offenders, the sentence would be added on to previous sentence. For example, if the rapist went out and broke somebody's leg with a baseball bat, he would be raped and have his leg broken by a baseball bat. Of course, there would have to be special punishments for certain people such as people who commit crimes because they like the punishment. For them, an equivelant punishment will be administered. There would also be other special processes for other types of unique people, but that's a lengthy issue.

Did I mention that I would also have Bill Gates publicly executed?

As I mentioned to stflook, his system of punishment is very similar to Hammurabi's system of punishment WaaaaaaaY back in the times of early civilization.

If a being such as I were to have total control over the entire planet, I would do the following MAJOR things (MINOR things could be added later):

Dress the poor people and give them adequate food supplies, education, and HOPE. Citizens cannot make valued decisions if they cannot read, write, and question. Question whatever you want, including myself, but do it not in the form of violent outbreaks of riots and anarchy, but in the form of writing, and peaceful demonstration. Create, and be not afraid to voice you opinion about my performance as a leader (peacefully).
    Open up what was once not allowed. Since marijauana is not a drug in my mind, it shall be legalized. But like cigarettes, the people shall be encouraged to use this substance (any better a word) in moderation and like alcohol, responsibly. The legal age for smoking marijuana would be 16, for by then a young person should be responsible enough to decide for themselves whether or not they want to do it.
    Free speech... to a certain extent. Free speech is a good thing... to a certain extent. HATE speech shall not be tolerated, and punishments will be swift and harsh. For first offenders, a year in prison, not exceptions. We will not accept the defamations of others because of race, creed, religion, age, originating country, etc.
    Mandatory Computer Training. If I were to rule the world, there would be mandatory computer classes for all once they reach around the age of 12. They will be taught how to use both Unix and Microsoft Operating Systems, and shall take regular exams to determin if they meet the requirements to move on to more advanced learning... tkae that AOL!
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!