Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on hackers

Opinion on hackers

I was wondering why you think that finding a security hole in someones system is ok. Even if you tell them about it and how to fix it.

well, it might me ok, its actually good, because your helping them, but just start readin some magz like 2600, especially the posts, then you will see that is more complicated then you think. especially with large companies, first they will probably ignore you, and when you show them that there really is a security issue, they will probably accuse you of hackin into their system and bring you to court. i know it sounds strange, but that's the way it has happened lots of times, cuz when it comes to stuff like that, most of the admins are *******s, cuz they don't want to loose their job. just think about it, a company hires an admin for their security, pays him hella momey, and then some kid from somewhere tells their admin, that there is a major security issue in their system. i mean, what would you do? prolly the same as they do. and then if you really "hacked" into their system, then your busted. if you didn't and you tell them, it will still be hard to convince the court, that you didn't, cuz as soon as they name you a hacker, there is no way to make 'em believe, since they can't stand that stuff and are *******s anyway.
    who contorls the past now, controls the future,
    who controls the present now, controls the past,
    who controls the present now?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Well, it's hard to answer but usually, it's that someone who decided if it's ok or not. Some people can take critic and some cannot. If you find a security hole on a system and that someone cannot accept the critic, he's gonna be realy mad at you and maybe try legal action on you. But if the that someone can accept the critic, he may reward you. In the end, it all depend on the person personnality that own the system.

Hope it help.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

well if it depends on the personality of the admin then we are all busted anyway

Well it really is a matter of what th3 hacker is doing if he is a blackhat and distroys the data or alters it. But if he is a white hat and only violates the systems because he wants to learn how the network is configured and the information contained with in the system. That is ok i Guess

the study of security flaws and exploits to the point where you can preform them not only gives you a greater knowledge of computers and networking. it increases ones awareness of security, puting it formost in your mind when your setting a network up.

As far as telling admins about flaws you find, there even a procedure to cya there. Always use an anomalizer. if you email them from your own address they might get insulted and press charges against you.

let it be clear that there is a difference between finding a security hole and exploiting it, If everyone who finds a hole tolls the admin of that insecure system about it, the entire internet would benifit, fewer zombies, virus diseminators, etc.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

In my opinion "helping them" is wrong. Its just like going to someones house and breaking in non destructivly then telling them how you got in there or just breaking in to learn about lock picking. Personnally i would want someone to do that to me. Just because you want to help people by breaking in to there houses and telling them how there to fix the problems doesnt mean you can do it. The only time you have the right to enter someones machine is if they tell you you can. No matter how look at it Being a white hat hacker, or a Black hat doesnt matter. They both do things against the law. And both go to jail.
    Am I correct?

Oh yea by the way 2600 is full of hacker idiology and propaganda. Just look at how they talk about Kevin Mitnick and everything as if he wasnt guilty read it with a open mind approach and you'll see its all propaganda.

Why it is ok hmmm...tough question I wouldn't say it was ok unless you have there permission to hack. BUt if your going to hack the best thing to do would be to tell them. Finding a security hole is usually benificial to the admin because sometimes they don't even know that a hole is there. Telling them about it increases security for a network and how could that not be good. It all depends on the hacker.

well since we are talkin bout security holes here anyway, there seems to one in antionline.com. last time i wanted to log in using cookies (too lazy to type in username and password) i logged in as a different user. so i saved the cookie, closed my explorer and connected to antionline again. and again i was logged in as that same, but still different, user. so my question here is, how the hack did that cookie come to my computer? i couldn't figure it out yet, didn't have the time, but we will see. just tell me if you guys had the same problem someday, sometime?

well, and even if 2600 is all propaganda, as long as it is interesting, which it definitely is and as long as they fight for their rights, why not support it. i mean, you jsut gotta start readin some stuff like 1984, animal farm or brave new world, but you gotta really read it, so that you understand it. then listen to some music like rage against the machine and you will see what bullshit is really goin' on. and when you have done that, then you will jsut love 2600, because of their propaganda, because they fight against a system that totally sux. i can't really say that, cuz i'm german, but i've been here since 7 month now and since i read those books and listen to that music, i really start to see things a different way, a more mind-opened and real way, and that is the system sux. and as long as that is the system we live in, there won't be any chances to do what you want to do, without getting at least some problems with the law.

yes but it doesnt matter wether it helps the sytem or not or how helpfull it is its still wrong in the eyes of the law.