Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on hackers

well, than it is wrong in the eyes of the law. if people would have never done anything that is wrong on the eyes of the law, dude, we would still be in the freakin stoneage. just think about government. that stuff is wrong in the eyes of the law, i mean they have been lying to you since 4ever. corruption was the only thing there in the 1800's and 1900's and you think that wasn't wrong in the eyes of the law. the problem with all the people is, that most of them just don't realize, what the hell is goin' on on this f****n planet, cuz they don't care or they r too stupid to open their eyes. so don't tell me propaganda is bad, especially in the case of 2600, cuz propaganda is the only thing we have left to organize against the system. you should really read some stuff like 1984, your view of the world will be changed overnight, but only if you want to.
    who contorls the past now, controls the future,
    who controls the present now, controls the past,
    who controls the present now?

*SSJVegeta-Sei sees all of the n00bs with silly opinions and begins playing around with his lighter, mentally telling himself that he will NOT flame, but not really believing it, and waiting for the first comments about the overuse of 1984 to come in, and also wonders what branch of the government xifon works for*

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

*viperbite sees SSJVegeta-Sei acting gay because all he wants to do is flame. And things of how big of a LLAMA SSJVegeta-Sei is*

xactly, viberbyte, give 'em **** to eat

xifon hates the govenrment, loves 2600 and 1984 and if you have a problem with that, well, then it is YUOR problem. i only use 1984 to show some people how small viewed they are, especially when it comes to the government. i might as well list fight club, matrix, cube or your favorite movie. people like you still don't get it and will never so stop talkin **** bout other people who at least have an opnion.
    who controls the present now, controls the past,
    who controls the present now?

Dear Mr. Viperbite -

I feel that now you have given me leave to actually make my points. I was going to keep my mouth shut, but since you seem to have quite a healty mouth on you yourself...

1. First, I have to make a point about the "gay" comment. I am not gay, but despite that, in this 21st century, if you think that sexual orientation is a good source of insult, or that someone should be discriminated against due to sexual orientation, you need to grow up.

2. Llama?

3. We here at AntiOnline consider ourselves White Hat hackers - that is to say, we don't do anything that hurts other people in our hacking. Have you ever driven over the speed limit? Downloaded an MP3? Jaywalked? Let he who is guiltless cast the first stone.

4. "I was wondering why you think that finding a security hole in someones system is ok. Even if you tell them about it and how to fix it."

I was wondering why you think that coming in here with your holier-than-thou attitude and telling us what do do is ok, but then that's just my opinion, and it's obviously not as important as yours.

5. "In my opinion "helping them" is wrong."

I'll keep that in mind in regards to you.

6. " Oh yea by the way 2600 is full of hacker idiology and propaganda. Just look at how they talk about Kevin Mitnick and everything as if he wasnt guilty read it with a open mind approach and you'll see its all propaganda."

So is everything that you are saying, just on the other side of the street, so to speak.

p.s. you should spellcheck your rants.

I think that will do for now.

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

IMO,
    In one sentence, its okay when there is no intent AT ALL to be malicious or read not publicized information about or on the network, it is not okay when there is an intent to be malicious or read information on or about the network.

In my opinion "helping them" is wrong. Its just like going to someones house and breaking in non destructivly then telling them how you got in there or just breaking in to learn about lock picking.
    how about if you tried someones door when they were not home, found it unlocked, but didn't enter. later you called them from a phone booth to tell them, without incriminating yourself. that is neither immoral or illegal.

not as much fun as computer security but the same principle.

we now live in a world where you can get sued for helping some one who's hurt. Does that mean you can no longer help anyone. No, you can help someone inspite of the law, not give your name and take off when it over.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

there are good hackers and bad hackers the good one tell whoever has the problem the problem and they fix it but black hackers take advantage of that and use it for blackmail or money which is wrong

Originally posted here by Viperbite
    In my opinion "helping them" is wrong.
    Am I correct?
    Well lets consider the definition of wrong thanks to www.dictionary.org:

1]Contrary to conscience, morality, or law; immoral or wicked.
    2]Not required, intended, or wanted.

According to the first definition reporting a hole to an admin is not wrong, you are doing something that is totally un-selfish, and using your valuable time to do it! But, if you consider the second definition, you will see that your reporting the hole was not required, the hole was not intended to be there, and your help was not wanted from the admins so the fact that you are a whitehat who wants to help the computing community makes no difference. Your goin' to jail (maybe).

I believe that if your going to search for an exploit in a system then you must either use it your advantage or report it, if you do nothing then you do not exeplify what I believe a hacker or a security buff is. If you do report if tho, don't take credit for the find or...post it on a popular vulnerability website where the admin will eventually here about it and then all those who read it will know that you "L33TgUy" found the exploit and then there is no case against you because it cannot be proven.
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

It depends also on WHAT kind of exploit we are dealing with here. If I am testing a company to see if I can do a buffer overflow or DDOS attack, and I start crashing systems. Then I have done damage, and even though I can tell them how to fix it...they will be intimidated and push the full extent of the law in my face.

However, IMHO, if I find an exploit that gives me some sort of user or (heavenly granted) administrator/root level access...but does no damage to the system, then I do believe you have done the company a good thing.

The problem with paralelling this to a house, is that no one will attack a house, or I should say put much effot into a house. Likewise I will not put much effort into hacking Joe-Blows computer downstairs, but instead I would pool my resources to strike at ebay or something.

So if we change our metafor (or however you spell that) to that of breaking into a billion dollar holding bank...then instead of stealing you tell the security where they were laking....I doubt they will harm you. You have indeed helped them, and shown your good and honest heart
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon