Thread: win ram

Exclamation win ram

I have heard that someone is writing programs where you can run win98 on ram alone, w/virtual memory, and no caching to hard drive. Is this possible? If so, anyone have any info?

I love cats (they taste just like chicken)

"you can get farther with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone"-Al Capone

Yes it is possible and many people do it. Right click on "My Computer". I have'nt used Win98 in years. But it is on one of the system tabs. You can turn of file caching. You better have at least 128mb of RAM. Also if you have video on your board or on a PCI card and it's 16mb or less. Don't try it. It will lock up on you like a car load of drunks at a road block. You need a good AGP vid card with at least 32mg, 64mb if it's a PCI. It will work with less memory and less video. I'm just letting you know what you need for less hastle.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

ya,...it's called PocketPC....hehe
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

one more thing...virtusl memory IS using your HD for memory
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

I noticed when you boot a computer with no hard drive using a startup disk it creates some thing called a (ram drive) and assigns a letter to it. Is there a way to create one of these in windows or Linux and then copy some movies you need to edit (or anything else that would benefit form running off ram)? Of course you would need tons of ram to do this.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Damn Virtual Machines...the box better be bulging with RAM wafers...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

ram disks are old news...been around since DOS i think...and they are good and fast...but...oops...don't forget to save to HD...or ...awww...power outage....just lost the days work...hehe....give me a fast hd anyday...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Exclamation ram

I have 512 mb memory, 1.3 athlon, 32 meg card. Will this be enough ram??

I love cats (they taste just like chicken)

\"you can get farther with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone\"-Al Capone

Banned
    I heard someone say Pocket PC, and yeah thats basically it, WindowsCE runs on pure ram.... and actualy saves on ram tooo...... of course the hardware is a bit different but im sure u can work something out...

but what im wondering is why do this on a PC??? Its pretty pointless, u can get a good HD and have everything on there, why risk speed and memory just to run it off of RAM???

I dunno thats just my opinion