Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's all about people

Banned

It's all about people

I just finished watching Das Boot for the 5th time or so.
    I've always thought of it as the ultimate, most realistic U-boat movie ever (for those of you who don't know the movie: forget about The Hunt for the Red October. If you wanna see a real submarine-movie, get yourself a copy of Das Boot). I always thought it was about the war, about the 'evil' Germans against the Allies. Don't know why, but just now I realized it's not about war, it's not about Germans against Allies... It's about people...
    That's what a war always is about: people. It's not about what I believe against what you believe... It's about people.

There's no way to justify a war. There's no way to justify any war, for it's about people. The Civil War? About people. WW1? About people. WW2? About people. 9/11? About people. The 'war against terrorism'? About people.

There's no way to justify any war against other people, whatever their beliefs are, whatever their skin-color is, whatever language they speak, whatever god they worship.

We human beings are supposed to be civilized. There's nothing civil about war...

Of the 40,000 men aboard German submarines in World War II, 30.000 did not return.

I also posted this text as my 'Introduce yourself'-post on one of the sickest forums I've ever seen: http://www.thephora.com/showthread.p...9319#post29319 . Enter at own risk.

Here's some links for the movie:

The Original "Das Boot"
    Das Boot - The Director's Cut

PS: If anyone could get me the Ping-sound of a U-boat....

Ah, glad to see somebody gets it. The only reason war starts is because the person who leads them either doesn't know or has forgotten how horrible battle is. It's a terrible thing that somebody would send thousands or even millions of innocent people to kill or be killed by another group of thousands or millions of innocent people. It's simply inhuman.
    There are benefits to war, but those are only visible in the big picture, and mostly insignificant.

BTW, do you happen to have 'Cannibal Holocaust'?

Negative, have you seen U-571? That's a pretty good (newish) submarine movie. I've seen The Hunt for Red October, but haven't see Das Boot - maybe I'll hire it out if I come across it in the video store.

But yeah, U-571, if you haven't seen it (though I presume you would have), get onto it, it's a decent film. And it has lots of them submarine noises!!

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hey Neg,

Check this place out.

http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/sear...keywords=sonar

Might have your sound for you.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There's nothing civil about war...
    That just makes the Civil War that much more ironic, doesn't it...
    Why am I still here?

Banned
    Wheeee! Thx MsMittens... Now I have myself a Windows XP that really sounds like a sub

war has always been about people. sadly, it just comes down to justification... that's what all the other things are. Look at the crasades, God told them to fight. Osama Bin Laden believes Allah told him to do it. if you like at all wars, there is some "belief" that is being used to justify the war. that is the way humanity is, we need a reason to kill a man, even if that reason is all a lie.

[gloworange]Glow orange is fun... [/gloworange]
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Neg and stflook - finally, a reasoned perspective on war. good job. War itself lacks justification. Lord_darkside_x, I don't believe God told them to carry out the crusades. That was the catholic church hierarchy.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Good Point gold eagle... if god wants us to kill each other I am sure he/she can come down and tell us all about it, not use a human mouth piece...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Lord_darkside_x, I don't believe God told them to carry out the crusades. That was the catholic church hierarchy.
    that was my point entirely... God didn't... THEY SAID God did. thus justifying a killing spree.... i thought i made that clear in what i said in the reast of the post. sorry if i didn't
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda