Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A convenient college coincidence

A convenient college coincidence

I'd already gone to a technical school last year for PC support, and obtained my A+ cert. However, the MONTH I graduated (jan 2001) was when the whole tech sector hit the skids. So here I am a year later going back to school for my assoc. degree in computer sciences (I'm majoring in, what else, networking/security ) Upon taking a tour of the school I'm going to apply to (NHTI), I discovered that the networking dept. has just over half a MILLION dollars in routers and other assorted networking equipment donated to them by Cisco (There is a room that is all racks w/routers!!). It's one of only 5 schools in the country that have that facility. And it's a 25 minute drive from where I live. Pretty cool...

Just felt like sharing that
    - T3|\\|9U () -

Sounds good...
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

care to donate any of that surplus cisco gear to us here in down under? =)
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

damn...wish i had that kind of opportunity

The IT department at my college held a tour a few days ago. I went and it was interesting how all the internet traffic for an entire college of 6000 gets crammed into a little fiber cable.

Half a MILLION dollars in routes and servers isn’t that bad for a college or university, those things aren’t cheap.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Well, our IT department has....... well, never mind, it really isn't an actual IT department. More like a room with 12 P1 133mhz computers. It's good to have your own computer.
    Bleh.

College

My college built a new technology wing with a nice big grant they got when some dude died. The equipment room has several hundred thousand dollars of fancy equipment to run the whole building. The whole building is this fancy modern archtecture thing with keypads and everything for security on all the classroom doors.

Then they put in sprinkler system in the equipment room. A -water- sprinkler system.

Am I the only one who sees the complete idiocy here?

-Keisha
    www.notinourname.net
    www.nion.us

Read them.

Cisco Equip

I would luv to have a Cisco Pix to play with, if one becomes avail.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Sounds a lot like the school I went to (GVSU). To bad they didn't install all the routers until AFTER I graduated.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Current company I work for has multiple development and test environments, but not a test or development domain (NT/Win2K/Unix). Plenty of test and development apps and databases, but not a test network to work with.

Ahh...the fun of attempting to break test databases on a live production network. Don't blame me for your shortcomings in planning architecture.
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"