Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: are students criminals?

------------------
    Its okay, if your on drugs you prolly don't wanna be in Extra-curricular activities anyways.
    ------------------

your speaking for the people who are on drugs, but, it is like you said, so why do they have to test people who want to participate in activities if chances are their not on drugs...so they can get their foot in the door for testing everybody, and i don't mean just students and i dont mean just for drugs. this takes another step closer to dna testing and profiling
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

yesterday in Ottawa, a boy was suspended from high school for 2 days because a drug sniffing dog detected the faint smell of marijuana on his jacket.

I realize that sum folks in the band, the chess club, and the choir smoke and do drugs but does anyone else find it slightly ridiculous that these were the groups mentioned in the article? I mean maybe my school just isn't a very nurturing enviroment for cool chess club members (and I like to play chess, don't get me wrong) or cool choir members. However, on the basketball/football/baseball teams there are quite a few bag-a-day smokers. But, like I said maybe it's a unique observation.

Also, down with random drug tests. It's not the schools job to babysit those who go there.

>> *wink* >> www.passthedrugtest.com

<edit>I'm a junior member! Break out the martini glasses!</edit>
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

Originally posted here by celfie
    yesterday in Ottawa, a boy was suspended from high school for 2 days because a drug sniffing dog detected the faint smell of marijuana on his jacket.
    What is a drug sniffing dog doing at a school in the first place?
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

The Supreme Court has ruled that students in public school do have rights and also don't have rights.... It depends on whose on the court at any one time...

I think as long as drugs are illegal, then students ought to be tested for drugs randomly. I have seen to many friends messed up on drugs before they can have a chance to make it in the real world. You want to grow up to be a pot head fine, but when your young you have no idea about the consequences of your actions.

I have a feeling that this may not be a popular opinion here, but I just don't want to see anyone end up a drug addict before they can legally drink alchol...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Banned
    there goes another freedom. although i dont do drugs i think they should be legal. if i want to do drugs, dont stop me because its my life.

whats next? are they going to sniff our underwears to see if we had underaged sex or not?

Ninja Code Monkey
    hrm...

I am against random drug tests being done in schools. My biggest problem with it is that the person who will be doing the tests will most likely be a monkey with minimal training. If they wanted to enforce tests to get INTO the school in the first place, ok then. It would be just like getting a job. If they want tests to join extracurricular activities that would be fine too, as long as ALL of the tests are done by a professional. Have them go to the hospital for the testing where it can be done by trained professionals and bring the results back, or have that person come to the school to supervise the collection and transport the samples to the hopital, etc, etc and send the results back.

Getting pulled at random and being told by the football coach or school nurse to pee in the cup so they can litmus test it just doesn't cut it. And if they try to take legal action based on that....

Searching lockers and so on is fine since it is their property anyways, UNLESS they go through personal property such as backpacks and so on without probable cause. Since the guys who used to search our schools used dogs, that was usually how the backpacks and cars ended up getting searched.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Originally posted here by jcmcb
    I think as long as drugs are illegal, then students ought to be tested for drugs randomly. I have seen to many friends messed up on drugs before they can have a chance to make it in the real world. You want to grow up to be a pot head fine, but when your young you have no idea about the consequences of your actions.
    Weed is not a drug first of all, and everyone on this board can send me to dictionary.com and quote every law book in the world, but weed does not share a single characteristic with any other drug out there (save the euphoria feeling). Secondly, who says that people under age 18 don't know the consequences of their actions? Thats like saying that all black people are dumb or all white people are nerd-poser-wanabe's. I'm 17 and although I don't know how to pay an electric bill I have more common sense then both my parents combined. I have never let weed get in the way of my life, I have, however, used it to enhance it.
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

Uzer -

I think that Tobbacco, Alchol, and caffine are all drugs that are as bad if not worse than Weed. I agree (I assume) with you that Weed ought to be legal...

But your mistaken when you think that you understand the full implications of your actions. I think all of us that have a little more experience in the real world would agree that you do most of your growing up between 18 and 21...

This is not a dis on you or any one else, after all I felt the same way you did back when I was your age...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

IMO:

You can be asked to do a drug test in return for getting a job. That's a kind of policy, I think it makes sense in many situations.

But for school? No. That's a public service that is paid for by your parents/your tax dollars, and you should be given it. If you refuse to be tested, and they refuse to school you, then there should be a tax deduction so you can be sent to a school that will work with you.

What doesn't work is the goverment requiring you to go to school, pay for it, and be unconstitutionally searched. They can't have all of that.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency