Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meaning of Life

I think that is was Asimov that thought of the human experiance as a comsic tapestry, with each person being an individual thread. To me the meaning of life is to make your thread the most beautiful and meaningful thread you can...

Its up to you how you go about that (posts to AO, nobel prize, scuplture), as long as you contribute to the tapestry...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    Originally posted here by rcgreen

Maybe the "rif raf" have discovered the meaning of life, while the
    "intellectuals" have their heads up their asses.
    ha ha thats very possible I definatly see ur point

the meaning of life is to exist.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

the meaning of life : to evolve,to unlock all of the brains potential,to ever spiral upwards
    to finely become part of the supreme energy force, to live,to love ,to be
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Forgive me if I stray from the flow of the conversation for a minute here, but I noticed that if you look at it, The3ntropy's sig can be associated to this discussion.

en·tro·py

1.) A quantitative measure of the amount of thermal energy not available to do work.

2.) A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.

3.) A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message.

4.) The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.

5.) Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society.

You see, this word basically applies to everything, whether it be matter at the molecular or atomic level, simple or complex organisms, ecosystems, the planet, or even our galaxy, this word basically sums up the destiny of everything that exists. For instance, I, as a human, am destined to die. You are damned to the very same, like it or not. The same applies to every organism. Entire species grow to superiority, but unwaveringly will die out for whatever reason. The dinosaurs did it. When the beginning of the Ice Age began (from whatever cause), those who couldn't handle the climate died off. This was followed by the rise to power of the phylum mammalia. Out of all of them, our species rose to the top of that class. Now, we face all kinds of threats to our existence. Pollution, plague, extraterrestrial forces, and climate changes all are a threat to our superiority. Some are bigger dangers than others, and some even tie in with each other. I guess that what I'm trying to say is that everything is destined to deteriorate or die. There's just no avoiding it.

As you may have noticed, I have stuck to the fifth definition of this word. Whether or not you realize it, it ties in directly with the fourth. Whether or not you know it, everything in our known universe is destined to a future of uniformity. You see, the pattern of galaxies is constantly expanding, but that doesn't mean that they have escaped each other's gravitational forces. Even if it's just a little bit, those galaxies are still pulling on each other, and slowing each other down just a little. Of course, by the time the universe has begun to start contracting, the majority of the galaxies will have become giant black holes, and those that have no central gravitational force, such as a black hole, will be slowly sucked into black holes that used to be other galaxies. These black holes are nothing more than lots and lots of matter with such a gravitational pull that it actually collapses in on itself, and the very atomic structure of all matter in that black hole collapses. Thus, you have total inert uniformity. These black holes will slowly gain speed as they move toward each other. Eventually they will collide, one by one. Now, what happens at this point I don't know. However, there are two different theories I have. On is that the force of the impacts will cause these black holes to explode as other big bangs, and will eventually the matter will group and form new galaxies. My other theory is that they will collect into one giant black hole, with a central pressure so great that (with the aid of the vacuum of space) will simply explode into another Big Bang, and the universe will start anew.

The point I'm trying to make is that everything moves in cycles. Things must begin, and things must end. Living things die, but when they do, they provide for other life that depends on the substances in the dead organism. So basically, our purpose on this earth is to die. But upon doing so, we're supposed to provide for future cycles of life, and even somewhat stimulate the evolutionary process. However, humans have developed such a fear of death and the natural, that we have altered our environment to suit our desires, and we have taken to sealing away our dead. This is not the way it is supposed to be. We have become so advanced in our society, that we're actually trying to separate ourselves from the processes of earth. It just doesn't work that way. We need to accept the fact that our big purpose in life is to die, and come to the realization that death isn't nearly as grim as society has made it out to be throughout history. We need to accept our fate, and go through it with dignity and the same sense of responsibility that we do everything else.

So next time somebody asks you a question like "What is our purpose?", simply respond with one word, "entropy".

Stflook Made some very interesting points taking the whole meaning of life onto a comic level.
    The point I'm trying to make is that everything moves in cycles. Things must begin, and things must end
    Perhaps that is all that the theory I put forward is, smaller a smaller cycle in the whole comic make up of thing.
    Whether or not you know it, everything in our known universe is destined to a future of uniformity. You see, the pattern of galaxies is constantly expanding, but that doesn't mean that they have escaped each other's gravitational forces. Even if it's just a little bit, those galaxies are still pulling on each other, and slowing each other down just a little. Of course, by the time the universe has begun to start contracting, the majority of the galaxies will have become giant black holes, and those that have no central gravitational force, such as a black hole, will be slowly sucked into black holes that used to be other galaxies. These black holes are nothing more than lots and lots of matter with such a gravitational pull that it actually collapses in on itself, and the very atomic structure of all matter in that black hole collapses. Thus, you have total inert uniformity
    Perhaps this is where genetics is going this constant expansion. Without spontaneous mutations there would be a finite number of possible permutation, then what happened. As we know with incest there is increased amount of genetic related defects. This is where I would like to go off slightly and bring in another theory. Mitochondria are a female only marker, they are only passed down the female linage, this simply because of space, Sperm only carry mitochondria in there tail which is discarded upon entry to the ovum, the ovum having mitochondria within, and mitochondria having there own genetic structure and a symbiotic relationship within our own cells means you can look at mitochondria themselves and trace the female line right back. This theory goes under 2 names African eve and mitochondria eve. The premise of it is that you can trace all mitochondria back to a single female person and in so we are all from one “mother”. Now if this is true then surly that means that to a degree we are all incestuous (please no flames for expressing a theory or negative response this is just a theory I have read and am putting forth). In so are we destined to become the failings of our own nature of our own success is this one threat that is not consider but might actually be the one that ends all life upon earth and in so compete a circle with the cosmos. Perhaps.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

The meaning of life is to try and understand it

My meaning of life has changed with each differant stage of my life.20s where drugs,sex and rock & roll.
    30s children and security for my family.
    Now Iv'e just turned 40 im trying to head back to drugs,sex & rock & roll, but the boss wont let me.
    One thing that does make me think are a few words from a song.

What have you done today to make you feel proud.
    Doh!!!

I've stopped trying to figure out how we got here or why we are here, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with my time while I'm here.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Damn,
    I have been gone for a couple of days {week vacation} but I still like the responses. I really like stflook's point. We are destined to die, and die of Entropy << Liked that even more, haha.}} But anyhow, I have been thinking a bit about this myself, and thought of this idea. We are destined to live here as we are, there is no reason to it, just to better ourselves for ourselves, not trying to sound selfish, but if we are not gratifying ourselves when we are here we minus well not be here. And then I went to thinking, whoa, everything in this world revolves around Self-Gratification, if you really think about it, to the root of every thought and action, we ultimately just try to help ourselves. It does not matter how you cut it, even if you look at christians, {i am athiest by the way, correct me if I say anything wrong} people donate money to their church, help others, sing to their "god" and eat and drink his body and blood. But why do they do that? Because it feels good to themselves. They may not look at it that way but it really is exactly what they stand against. Christians help their neighbors as themselves because they want to better THEMSELVES and open the gates of heaven to THEMSELVES. They give money to poor starving children because they feel all warm and tingly inside, when they think they are doing something to help someone else. But when they donate that money, they think, into a simpler thought, oh boy, I am going to go to heaven cause I am giving my money to some poor little boy. So, in the end, sharing, beliefs, helping, we all do it for ourselves, don't we? I mean, if you really hated doing anyone of those, you would not do it. If sharing did not make you feel "good" inside or get you something in return, would you still do it? Going back to the cathlics again, I would like to see any one of them goto afghanistan and donate money to the tali-ban. That would impress me, have someone do something that is not for themselves. Everyone following me here? What do all of you think?