Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Random question

sorry, i didn't know what procreation meant. I'm only 13!
    --It\'s all good... (Except for Windows ME)--

I think the days of using the bible to justify certain view points is over; there are just so many different conclusions form the same words. Also the bible is about 2000 years old and has been translated from its original language so picking specific phrases to justify a view point is just fishing reasons. There’s nothing wrong with quoting the bible but if it’s the sole point for your argument then you should consider adding a little logic and good old common sense if you hope to convince anyone.

Keisha is right the media focus to much on the blood and death side of the news.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

The bible also forbids sex for purposes other than procreation. This includes masturbation, oral sex, anal sex, sex with a prophylactic, or any other type of sex that doesn't involve a penis ejaculating unhindered inside a vagina.
    i am aware of this, but that was not what we were talking about so i didn't think it was necessary to bring it up, the bible also forbids murder and stealing and dishonoring of parents, but that has nothing to do ith the convo either. i know you weren't directing the second part at me, but i was just mentioning what the bible said about homosexuals. hence the disclaimer...

cwk9... i agree with you to some level. i believe some things were lost in translation and so on. but i also think it is a shame that you need to logically convince people of your statements on religious arguements... because the bible requires some faith. besides, be careful how much logic you use, esp in faith arguements.... because with logic, you can disprove anything. ( i even met some one who convincingly disproved gravity and our existance on earth, just to prove the point)
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

First, I'm wondering where in the Bible sex for purposes other than procreation is forbidden. I have never seen a single verse that says this . Could you please give me a specific chapter and verse where it says this?

Second, I agree that some parts of the Bible can be interpreted in different ways. That's why there are so many different denominations. What unites different groups of Christians isn't agreeing on everything; it is our common ultimate allegiance to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Third, while some parts of the Bible can be interpreted in different ways, some parts are also very clear. I feel that homosexuality is one of these. The Bible clearly states that it is wrong. Please don't shut me off at this point. Keep on reading.

Fourth, homosexuality is not the only sin. The Bible says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). Does God's law condemn homosexuals? Yes. But it also condemns all the rest of us too. Don't miss that. We are all lost unless we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, the One who died for our sins and restores our relationship with God. We either accept the penalty for our sins or we trust that Christ has done that for us. It's that simple.

Fifth, The Bible also teaches that true freedom doesn't come from doing whatever we want. That is anarchy. How would you like to live in a world without any laws where people did whatever they want to do? It would make driving on a highway a lot of fun wouldn't it? What I'm getting at is that God's laws are not meant to imprison us or hurt us. A parent tells a child, "Don't put your hand on that hot stove. You'll get hurt." Is the parent trying to hurt the child by putting a prohibition on her behavior? No, the mother or father is trying to help his child and keep him or her from pain and suffering. It's the same way with God. He is a Father who loves his children. If God says not to do something there is a reason for it. Faith means trusting God to know what's best for us.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Alright. Where do I begin with this one? First off, let me start by saying that i'm not in anyway christian. I've been Wiccan for 4 years now. Also, I tend to have a bicurious sexuality.
    First off, let me point out that the bible was written by the hand of man, and, even if 'inspired by the hand of god', would probably hold several influences of the person writing it. Also, the bible has been translated so many times throughout the ages that most of what it says now is complete gibberish. You try it. take any sentence in Hebrew, translate it to latin, and then translate that into English, and see how off it gets.The bible makes a good history lesson and a source of poetry, but beyond that, it doesn't hold much water with me.
    Second, why is it when someone uses a quote from the bible against itself, most people will say "Oh, but that's from the Old Testament.", and then turn around and use a quote from there to defend their anti-gay views? Hey, I thought the 'rules' in the Old Testament didn't count anymore?? Hypocrites....

I agree with Preacherman here....the bible does say clearly that homosexuality is a sin, but it also says that any type of fornication is a sin, and that includes the heterosexual sin of premarital sex, and I don't think a lot of people who jump on the bandwagon of homosexuality being a sin want to consider that. If you sin, you sin. There is no sin greater than another in the eyes of God....so that little fib you told to your boss/mom/wife/friend puts you on the same plain as the homosexual that you put down....might want to put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    I am a Christian, and I don' t think that homosexuality is right. However....let ye without sin cast the first stone. So before you go condemning other people for the way they live their lives, you might want to take a look at your own.

I am not aiming this at anyone in particular here....just my point of view.

Keisha--I also believe that you MUST speak up for what you believe is right.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Anirak>>

your only 13, you dont have any ideaw about the realities of the world yet. I at myself at age 19 have no idea... but i know enough not to blindly believe what someone tells me at some cult-like sermon. DOnt base your life on a pathetic storybook, it will get you nowhere but inside the biggest Cult in the world, Christianity.

(jsut to clarify things... i have a personal grudge against christianity due to my experiences in catholic school, being berated by the school and church because i diddent agree with the "christian" opinion on everthing.)
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Originally posted here by delstar
    Alright. Where do I begin with this one? First off, let me start by saying that i'm not in anyway christian. I've been Wiccan for 4 years now. Also, I tend to have a bicurious sexuality.
    First off, let me point out that the bible was written by the hand of man, and, even if 'inspired by the hand of god', would probably hold several influences of the person writing it. Also, the bible has been translated so many times throughout the ages that most of what it says now is complete gibberish. You try it. take any sentence in Hebrew, translate it to latin, and then translate that into English, and see how off it gets.The bible makes a good history lesson and a source of poetry, but beyond that, it doesn't hold much water with me.
    Second, why is it when someone uses a quote from the bible against itself, most people will say "Oh, but that's from the Old Testament.", and then turn around and use a quote from there to defend their anti-gay views? Hey, I thought the 'rules' in the Old Testament didn't count anymore?? Hypocrites....

1) Both the Old and New Testaments teach against homosexuality. It isn't a matter of one contradicting the other.

2) Do you know Greek or Hebrew and have you ever translated in these languages? I'm asking, what is your experience or training to back up the statement s you make about the difficulities of translation?

3)The Bible won't "hold water" with anyone unless they have a relationship with God. I believe in the Bible because I believe in God. The Bible only has authority with me because I have a relationship with God.

4) Please be very careful with the word "hyprocrite." We can all turn out to be hypocrites in one way or another." How many environmentalists use products made by company that pollute the earth? It's not a nice word,and it should be used very sparingly.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Banned

Angry

EARTH TO EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD! this is a security website, not some debate website ment for letting religus people attack homosexials cause they are public about there preference....

I hope anyone doesn't feel that I'm attacking them. I'm just defending my point of view. It's not my job to judge anyone. That's God's job. He will do it much better than any of us can. Only God knows people's hearts and only He has all the facts. Also, this is the general chit-chat forum, and people post everything in here from jokes to rants, etc. But perhaps if Ennis or Negative are around they might wan't to confer and move this thread to the Cosmos forum.