View Poll Results: Almost daily news from many SCRs totally copied. Are you want this?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • YeS

3 50.00%
  • I dOn'T cArE !i!

2 33.33%
  • NO0öo

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac or Windows?

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Question Mac or Windows?

Okay, Everyone. I'll be in the market for a new computer soon, and I am curious about everyone's opinions as to OSs. I'll be keeping it simple between Windows or Mac based.
    Any input would be great. Thanks.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

If you wanna be diffrent and learn about a BSD based Unix like operating system then go for a Mac. Or stick with windows and keep bitching like the rest.

I'd advise you to build your own machine and to run linux on it (and if you feel you absolutely have to dual boot with some version of windows (for compatibility)).
    Building your machine is much easier than most people think it is and you get exactly what you want (buy from a major manufacturer and you'll pay for useless software you'll never use) much cheaper.
    Recently I built a machine for 3500 euro and out of interest I sent asked Dell and Gateway what a machine with the same specs would cost me, Dell quoted me 7500 for an inferior machine and Gateway said they couldn't make the machine.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

This is a tough on form my personnel point of view. I suppose it depended on what you want form your computer. Personnel I would not recommend either Pc or Mac over each other they do the same thing just each one has its advantages over the other. Recently a friend of my had delivered a new Mac G4, I went round and had a little play and realised that was not comfortably with Macs, where I am comfortable with PCs. We both are doing different course but both are computer related (I’m about to start computer systems, theory and network with computer science)) and he is doing a course on wed development, computer graphics and suchlike. Now if you go to the computer suits most of the computers for my course are PC, where most of the computer in his suit are Macs. Both course stress the importance of being literate on PC and Macs as well as many OS platforms. So i think if you have never had a Mac before but feel you would like one, ask yourself this. Can I afford the time to get comfortable with a Mac? If you can answer yes then its worth considering because then you will increase your general base knowledge of computers. If you cant give up that time then perhaps sticking to what you know. If you can an idea would be to keep your current PC perhaps upgrading the spec if that is why you are changing it over, and purchase a Mac. That way you'll be laughing because you'll have both large classes of computer types. If you had this set up you could use one to work on and one to "play" with. What i mean by play is sticking on different OS and learning them, doing all the things to them that you cant do to your normal work computer for the nagging feeling of if I totally kill this computer and it take me a long time to fix it i cant work. Anyway not really any help but that my opinion on the matter.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

How about the "None of the above option" of:

- Use Windows, prefer *nix!

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Actually, I would recommend going with what you have. If you currently use windows, and you buy a mac, all your current softwear goes into a big round "recycle bin." Unless of course you are trying to learn something new. Then again, most companies use windows, so unless you want to get a job working with companies that do a lot of graphic design.....In the end, the choice is yours though.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I cant rember who who I got this link of orginal but have a look at thissite. If the person whom did post it first read this and wants to PM i will edit this post with your name included.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

You forgot Use Windows, Prefer Linux
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by Kindred69
    I cant rember who who I got this link of orginal but have a look at thissite. If the person whom did post it first read this and wants to PM i will edit this post with your name included.

Kindred69
    Those statistics are dubious at best. It all depends on who's driving the keyboard. Both of those systems have their inadequacies, but to say MAC costs 'less' to own is downright idiotic, IMHO. Statistics can be groomed to fit whatever agenda you might have. Just keep that in mind.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Windows obviously costs less, because there is a lot more warez out there for it
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman