Thread: Office 97 or 2000 in Linux??

Lightbulb Office 97 or 2000 in Linux??

I just read a little article over at ZDNet about this company named Codeweavers http://www.codeweavers.com/home/ .
    It seems that they have made it possable to run MsOffice under Gnome or KDE without needing to load Windows. Seeing as to how there are a lot of Linux users around here I thought I would post this.
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target

Not having M$ office was the one big thing standing in the way of Linux becoming a viable desktop OS.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I suppose this would be good for a lot of Linux users, but I for one don't want to go back to Microsoft Office. I have Office Suite from Sun Microsystems, and I love it. I think it's better than any version of Office, and it doesn't have all the automated crap that makes Microsoft Office a pain in the butt. It's available for Windows too, if you want to give it a try. You can download it for free from Sun's website. Try it. It's really nice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my anti-Microsoft riot.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Codeweavers, I believe, is the company that markets WINE. You can dl the same program free elsewhere. Both WINE and VMWare are Windows 9x emulators. So if it runs on Win9x, it "should" run under one of those programs. They are both still being developed though. Personally, I have dumped MS Office for OpenOffice...the opensource version of StarOffice by Sun. And for those of you that claim it is only for linux, you are wrong. StarOffice will run on linux or windows, and I believe they are porting it to Mac also.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

we will see what happens in time time will tell
    so said the raven nevermore