Thread: Good news for windoz + *nix lovers...

Good news for windoz + *nix lovers...

Ready to brew Wine!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All those M$ fans can now run Windoz applications such as Word,IE or other crashy things on non-M$ platforms.WINE comes to rescue them.Its an implementation of windoz for *nix.For more info check out the links.
    Wine Development HQ - www.winehq.com CodeWeavers Wine - www.codeweavers.com TransGaming Technologies - www.transgaming.com

Banned
    Ummm... I dont know how to tell you this, but I think almost every *nix user here knows about Wine... I tried to get Quake to work on Linux but it didnt work, so ill get the text-only version.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ya. I was about to say the same thing. While WINE is ok for some apps its not a fully supportive emulator. I still can't get Yahoo Voice chat to work with it. =P
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Wine/VMWare do relatively the same thing but it's by no means a gamer's choice. We're stuck with Winblows until full hardware emulation is supported by these host applications. I could care less about running Outlook (laugh), or IE (laughs more) on my linux machine. I want to be able to run native win32 code for games flawlessly. Until then, I'm stuck with a windows machine or running linux ports for games and unlike ID games which does development *on* linux, those ports are sometimes pretty bad.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

errr old news

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    If I remember correctly, WINE doesn't support DirectX at all, and there are a few other api's that it doesn't support. That's why some things don't work at all, and some only work part way.

I still remember testing Wine when it was a Win3.x emulator
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman