Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Cleanup Day

Talking Internet Cleanup Day

To: All Internet Users
    Interconnected Network Maintenance staff
    Main branch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Subject: Internet Cleaning

Please pass this notice to other users who may not see it!
    As many of you know, occasionally the Internet must be shut down for 24 hours in order to allow us to clean it. The cleaning process, which eliminates dead e-mail and inactive ftp, www and gopher sites, allows for a better-working and faster Internet.

This year, the cleaning process will take place from 12:01 a.m. GMT on May 1 until 12:01 a.m. GMT on May 2. During that 24-hour period, five very powerful Japanese built multilingual internet-crawling robots (Toshiba ML-2274) situated around the world will search the Internet and delete any data that they find.

In order to protect your valuable data from deletion we ask that you do the following:

Disconnect all terminals and local area networks from their Internet connections.

Shut down all Internet servers, or disconnect them from the Internet.

Disconnect all disks and hardrives from any connections to the Internet.

Refrain from connecting any computer to the Internet in any way.

Avoid placing operating microwave ovens or toaster/toaster ovens near your computer modem.

Avoid wearing nylon (or other dielectric fiber) undergarments because of the possibility of electrical discharge.
    We understand the inconvenience that this may cause some Internet users, and we apologize. However, we are certain that any inconvenience will be more than made up for by the increased speed and efficiency of the Internet, once it has been cleared of electronic flotsam and jetsam.

We thank you for your cooperation.

SumDumGuy
    Interconnected Network Maintenance staff
    Main branch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sysops and others: Since the last Internet cleaning, the number of Internet users has grown dramatically. Please assist us in alerting the public of the upcoming Internet cleaning by posting this message where your users will be able to read it. Please pass this message on to other sysops and Internet users as well.

Thank you.

This is a Hoax. Cheak the link.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

I don't think anyone could have believed that!!

But imagine, could the world survive without the internet for 24 hours? What will happen? Heaps of people/organisations depend on the internet, imagine what would happen if it were turned off or shut down. I know you can't 'turn off' the internet, but imagine you could. I reckon there would be chaos!!

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Banned
    Kindred69, I think he meant it as a joke as per the in the subject.... Funny, I wonder who will actually disconnect their boxes

Yeah ac1dsp3ctrum, will be intresting to see how many do. Will be depenant on the spead of it. Will be intresting to cheak the hit counts on sites that day. Hot_ice i know of 4 people that have emailed it to me because they belived it LOL.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

Banned
    LOL, I better do it just to be safe... I dont want my security pr0n deleted Damn those Toshibas!

Banned
    It was almost believable, but then when you get to the "don't wear nylon pants in case of static charges..." it just tells you all.....

Good one SumDumGuy!

Kindred69, you can't be serious, 4 people?!?

I can see people believing this. Make sure it doesn't get to the press........LOL!

ccKid

By the way SumDumGuy, also like the reference to MIT! Good one.

ccKid

Banned
    Pretty Funny

Definately liked