Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows + Linux network

Question Windows + Linux network

I have a Windows ME box with a dial up internet connection and a Storm Linux box without one. I want the Windows box to share it's internet connection with the linux box. Can sombody tell me step by step what to do? How to configure the network, etc... I have the network cards plugged into each other, and that's about it. Thank you so much..

-DC

Same thing for me, except I have a Red Hat Linux box and they are both plugged into a hub. Thank you for any help
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Pretty easy thing to do guys, you need a proxy server. There is a good one at http://www.analogx.com it's in the network tools section. It comes with a readme file explaing how to setup the boxes on the network. Basically you assign internal ip's like 192.168.0.x, then point the clients to your gateway box. DL analogx proxy and give it a try, PM me if you have any problems.

[edit] here is alink to the proxy, analogx used to use frames and you couldnt link to it
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm [/edit]

I done it..

But with XP,
    the speed sucks...

R U sure u don't want to make the linux box share it's inet with the MS ??
    Lot safer..

But until that time try something like this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oftware+router
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I would do that...

But my linux box doesn't have an internet connection. I don't want a purchase a win modem, and I'm not to caring about the speed. I'm not going to be downloading movies or anything... Thanks for the advice on AnalogX Proxy, I'll give it a shot.

-DC

Try using a serial modem or USB modem or something... should be pretty close to "plug and pray."

In any case, you'll likely have better luck trying to get the Linux box connected and hardened before doing the same with the Winblowz box (though it can be done). Look at IPF or something for the Linux box, too - you'll want to make sure you lock down all connections back in to the box from the modem, too.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

My main problem is that I can't get the two to even talk to each other in the first place

so far, this is how it is:

One WinME box with I-net connection and 10/100 ethernet card, LAN ip 198.168.0.1
    One Redhat Linux box with no I-net connection and a 10/100 ethernet card, LAN ip 198.168.0.2
    Both connected to a 10Mps ethernet hub by rj-45 cables
    After that, I'm not sure what to do
    At the moment, all I want is to have the two "speak" to one another, and when I do, I want the Linux box to connect to the internet through the WinME box.

Again, any help would be really appreciated

Kezil, I think your problem is with your ip addys, 198.x.x.x is not an internal, try 192.168.0.x should solve your problem. Also make sure your subnets are same for both nics. Change both ip addys , reboot both boxes and try and ping them. If you still have probs post here or PM me.

Many thanks to verizon, now ping actually works between the two (and hopefully more).

Yet more evidence of the dumb fickleness of computers

Now, how do I go about getting the Linux box to connect to the internet through the Win box, w/out downloading anything (if possible)

Again, many thanks