View Poll Results: Would you listen to a reading of the Linux Kernel?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 37.50%
  • No.

5 62.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lindows???

I wouldn't mind trying it out but you have to pay 99 bucks to get the beta version of it to test it. Thats a little more than I am willing to spend for a beta. I heard that it was stable though.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Can someone tell me where I can get the source of Lindows?
    I don`t sounds goot to me...Windows and Linux...two very different things...like Dos and Windows

wow, I started this post last night while at work. I didn't think that it would cause this much debate although I am glad it did. I think that a windows and linux mixed OS is a good idea. Just as the Nuclear bomb was a good way to end WWII in Japan. And we all know how that worked out. The cold war, lots of little wars the treat of aniliation and on and on.

I think that creating a merged OS like this, if it succeeds, will destroy the software market. I think it's like messing with genetics. It was posted in here that it was like merging heaven and hell. I agree.
    thinking........

The sky is falling.

Like Lindows is going to bring the end of life as we know it. Then again that may not be a bad thing, you know?

Casper - I agree 99 bucks for a beta is a bit presumptuous, but you do get the benfit of having at least a little say in what they support first.
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.

Banned
    found an article about lindows at techrepublic.
    source: http://www.techrepublic.com/

LindowsOS: What to expect

Apr 3, 2002
    Brien M. Posey MCSE

Although the Linux operating system has been around for 10 years now, its complexity and inability to run many popular applications have kept it from gaining a foothold in the mainstream PC market. But Michael Robertson, CEO of Lindows.com and founder and former CEO of MP3.com, is hoping the LindowsOS will be the breakthrough product that will finally bring Linux into homes and the enterprise.

Designed with Windows users in mind
    According to Robertson, LindowsOS has been designed as an easy migration path for current Windows users. "An existing Windows user… can literally download some software over the Internet, double-click, and 10 minutes later they're running LindowsOS," Robertson said in a Feb. 25, 2002, interview with CNN.

After the upgrade process completes, the LindowsOS desktop will resemble the user's previous Windows desktop, including his or her wallpaper. Likewise, all of the user's files and applications will still be accessible. However, accessible doesn't equal fully compatible.

Targeted Windows application support
    A key roadblock to creating a Windows alternative has been developing code that supports every existing Windows application. This has proven to be difficult, if not impossible. The LindowsOS developers are trying to bypass this problem by supporting only a few Windows programs, but supporting them well.

LindowsOS is being designed to support only the most popular Windows productivity software, such as Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, AOL, and Quicken. While other Windows programs may run under LindowsOS, don’t bank on being able to run every new Windows application, especially games or software that's outside the mainstream.

Removes Linux's complexity
    Most flavors of Linux are just too complicated for the average end user and can even frustrate the seasoned IT support pro. They can be difficult to install, and anyone who’s installed an application on a Linux workstation knows the process can be significantly more tedious than installing Windows software. LindowsOS is designed to make such tasks easier.

LindowsOS developers are reported to have dramatically simplified both OS and application installation. Although LindowsOS has yet to be released, the goal is to be able to install the operating system in 10 minutes or less. This would be a welcome change to the standard 45-minute Windows installation time.

To achieve such a quick installation, LindowsOS developers have kept their operating system lean. Windows contains many ancillary applications (Notepad, Sound Recorder, Solitaire, etc.) that aren’t essential to the operating system's functionality. With LindowsOS, the operating system is designed to be small. However, if you want to install extras, you’ll be able to download them from the LindowsOS Web site.

Individually focused licensing
    While Microsoft requires that you purchase a separate license for each computer on which you install Windows, LindowsOS is licensed to the user rather than the computer. Buy a single copy of LindowsOS, and you can install it on every computer you own.

Additionally, a LindowsOS license (currently at $99) is one-third the cost of a Windows XP Pro retail license ($299). Imagine a small personal business that is buying five new workstations. To install five new copies of Windows XP would cost nearly $1,500. To install five new copies of LindowsOS would cost only $99. But don't jump for joy just yet.

Enterprises are less likely to see such extreme savings as Microsoft's Open, Select, and Enterprise Licensing programs offer organizations significant savings over Windows' retail price. In addition, you won't be able to buy a single copy of LindowsOS and install it on 1,000 workstations. The LindowsOS license only covers computers "you own," and unfortunately, Lindows.com doesn't currently offer detailed volume-licensing information. They simply state that, "Users who supervise 10 or more PCs can apply for volume licensing…."

Take a look for yourself
    LindowsOS 1.0 is scheduled for release later in 2002. You can learn more about the latest LindowsOS developments at Lindows.com. For $99, you can also sign up to be a Lindows.com Insider that entitles you to sneak preview(s) of LindowsOS.

Great Post thanks for the info. It seems that this is going to be an interesting set of events no matter which way they go. It appears that some users are scepticle of the new OS, which is totally understandable, but may be willing to try it out. Others are not so adventurous. I for one am undecided. I'd be interesting to learn a new OS although since I'm learning linux right now might be a bit too much to handle. Plus I can't afford $99 (being a college student suxs ass). So if any of you try it out let the rest of us know how things went good or bad.
    thinking........