Thread: help needed with NIS

help needed with NIS

hi,
    i am trying to study what the NIS is..i was wondering whether the NIS server in UNIX machines
    can be thought of as a domain controller that services domain log ons?i could sure use a lot of tips and guidance..
    what exactly is the use of NIS?

with regards
    scorpion

Re: help needed with NIS

The Network Information System (NIS) is a safe environment for sharing data among large number of network (Internet or Intranet) users. Also, this environment provides a secure and controlled access to the shared data. The NIS is described by an example where it is customized for an editorial system of a newspaper organization.

NIS-Tutorial
    http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO.html
    cheers,
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

thank you very much dieterle81..that was a quick reply..and i liked the links very much

Banned
    Securing NIS
    The Linux NIS(YP)/NYS/NIS+ HOWTO

the first one talks briefly about the security side of nis's. its vulns and the different ways it can be exploited.

the second one is a complete how to and covers most of the aspects.

thank you black hole

i will check out the links you provided..thank you very much for the help..by the way ...i am planning to set up a mail server using RED HAT 7.0..what it should do is connect to a POP server and download mails and send mails to an SMTP server...do i have to configure sendmail for that..frankly speaking i could not make heads or tails of the sendmail config files..it will be very helpful if you or anyone out there could help me with this..

with regards
    scorpion

@scorpion

to be honest:
    >i am planning to set up a mail server using RED HAT 7.0
    but what the relation to nis??

cheers,
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

from the look of it NIS and mail server may not seem related..but i think it is...however my current questions have no relation what so ever..i am studying linux all by myself..and right now i am trying to study the working of NIS and then setup one myself..along with this i am also trying to setup a mail server as part of my studies..however i could not find any good documentation...moreover the sendmail configuration file is a nightmare..so i am on the look out for all kinds of help like links,articles, or even personal experience

with regads
    scorpion