Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: accessing a network

Question accessing a network

i have an interesting problem for u all!

A systems administrator has blocked and hidden access to DOS, sys files, config files and everything useful (including mouse right click). I need access to some of these files, and up to now password crackers have all required to use DOS to run the dictoinary files. is there any way around this? what programs can u suggest? and how do they work?
    Chewitt

Why has the admin done this???
    Why do you want to undo it???
    Why not ask the admin if you need access he/she will give you access!!!
    Admin can and possibly know that you have been trying to use a password cracker (LOGS) if so you in D33P 5H1T

Smile =O0
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Why don't you present your case to the systems administrator and get his permission to access those files? If it's legitimate, he should allow you access. If your need is not legitimate, then you don't need to access the files. You are denied access to those areas for security reasons, so you either have a legitimate need or you don't. Best thing to do is to ask the systems administrator.
    - Maverick

Hmmmm ....

The reasons Sysadmins hide such files is to provide a level of internal network security. (I.E to stop internal users "buggering around" with the network)

If you have a legitimate reason for access, raise a work request / contact the sysadmin and ask for access to be granted to those files. It's a short, and easy method.

If you don't have such a legitimate reason then no one here is going to help you. (you will also probably get flamed)

Also another reason to beware ..... I'm a System Admin, and I work for a big company in the UK .... I might be checking through the logs as I type. Do you work at mine?? Because if so, you're looking at the wrong end of a P45.

Regards

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    What Operating system r u on? I am assuming you are on a lan..
    try Windows hot keys, they are often over looked.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I wish upper managment would let me implement the same type of thing. To many people mess crap up when they have complete access to their computer. The only reason anyone here needs a right click is when the are using AutoCad. Other then that, everything is available through hot keys (ctrl-c to cut, etc etc). I still don't have ANY clue why someone other then a sysadmin would need DOS, sys file access, config fill access, or anything else that you claim is useful (except maybe right click in certain occassions). So if you really do need those things, contact you system administrator and ask him to unlock it for you. If he says no, then go to management and explain your situation. If they say no, that means that you have absoutly no valid reason to access those things. If you want to hack a computer, set one up at home and play with it. Work is a place to work, not hack......(maybe I should get back to work....)
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Well if you can't find out how to enable the right mouse and get to dos, which in my opinion is basic script kid stuff. Then you will most likely have no idea how to use any of the cracking tools.

Just go ask your admin to enable some of this stuff for you.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Angry

OK! to further explain my predicament, the previous sys admin has 'left' and locked access to all his files and every forseeable way into them. We are currently at a dead end and no-one can fix it witout resetting the systems and loosing everything (not an option!). In respose to cwk9 I have tryed unlocking them simply through windows; writting simple override-script programs and even accessing the network core via external hacking. None of these have met with any solutions!!

In effect, the last remaining option is to locate and disable his user and password! Then recofigure the system settings and access options. However, as I stated we cannot access DOS to run any such password crackers nor can we find any that don't require DOS to run!

Please help!
    Chewitt

Originally posted here by chewitt1001
    In effect, the last remaining option is to locate and disable his user and password! Then recofigure the system settings and access options. However, as I stated we cannot access DOS to run any such password crackers nor can we find any that don't require DOS to run!

Please help!
    If you really do have the access to locate and disable his password(s), you should also have the access to change it.

Passwords exist for a reason (to keep honest people, honest).

(and I honestly don't think you've given enough information here for anyone to be of any real help, here - and you've mentioned some pretty "heavy duty-like" techniques to try to get in to a system, yet you can't figure out how to get to DOS?!? Something honestly doesn't sound right to me, Bob...)
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Are you sure that nobody else has admin rights. You should at least have a backup admin account. If you do. You can delete his profile and you won't loose anything.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.