Thread: Dual boot with Linux and Windows

Arrow Dual boot with Linux and Windows

Im sort of new to the Linux environment, but I seem to like it a lot. My folks are too fond of a new OS, so I was wondering how I could dual boot RedHat 7.2 and Windows, so its easy for the both of us.
    ! Windows = Superior

well there is several diferent ways but I guess you could config Lilo to load xp on start up and make a linux boot disk so when ever u want o start up linux u just pop in a floppy, or u could config lilo to pop up a OS selction menu when u boot up.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

System_Overload
    Hmmm...... Im not sure but this sound like a newbie question to me. Next time try and post your threads on the right forum. Oh yeah and welcome to AO

System_0verload

I believe these sorta questions have been answered over and over again.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well.. here ya go..

Before you do anything.. Check the Hardware compatibility list HERE

1) Make a decision on wheter you want to start from scratch or save your win OS's patition.
    If you want to save your partition see part II below.

I. From scratch.

-----------BACK UP EVERYTHING THAT YOU WILL WANT TO SAVE ON CD-----------------

A. Begin by gathering all your disc's OS installs and programs you will need. You will need a Windows boot disk (unless your bios in configured to boot from cd), windows installation disk's, and the Redhat ISO's that are burned to cd.

B. Reformat your HardDrive using a reformat utility. I would suggest using Patition Magic or any other flavor you like. You can use fdisk to do it also, although I'm not sure if you will be able to partition the second half in ETX2 or EXT3 format (which are linux formats). Any one else know if it does?
    You will want to prolly want to split your drive in half and give each OS its own half. For the space requirement I would suggest having at least a 20 gig drive to do this. I have a 40 gig and gave win 20 gigs and linux 20 gigs.
    Make sure that the win partition is either FAT32 (win 9x, Me) or NTFS (win2k)
    win XP i think can be either. Correct me if I'm wrong. And also make sure the win partition is the first partition. Win OS's don't like to be second in line.

After you have made the two partitions you can begin your win install. Just install it like you would normally. get everything in your win sys set up and then your ready to begin your next install.

Once win is done, get your redhat cd's (2 w/ redhat 7.2) and make a bootdisk from cd 1.
    Insert a blank 3.5" 1.44meg into floopy drive goto DOS and type the following:

Taken directly from here.
    C:\> d:
    D:\> cd \dosutils
    D:\dosutils> rawrite
    Enter disk image source file name: ..\images\boot.img
    Enter target diskette drive: a:
    Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and
    press --ENTER-- : [Enter]
    D:\dosutils>
    This will create a linux boot disk for the installation. (NOTE: this will NOT be the disk you use to boot into linux with once installation is complete. This is ONLY for the installation process)

Now your ready to install RedHat 7.2.

Reboot your computer with the linux installation disk in the drive and wait for it to load.
    Once you see the GUI for RedHat you will begin the installation as normal. Choose all youe settings.

You will need to determine what class of install is best for you. If your just using the linux to learn the operating system I would suggest choosing Workstation. For definitions of each install type see THIS

Once you have choosen the install type you will next have to choose the formating and partition options. You will have three choices of how to do this. I would suggest you choose the: Manually Partition with Disk Druid.

The next screen will show you the partitions on your drive. It will look like

-/dev/hda
    |-hda1 blah blah blah fat32, or NTFS
    |-hda2 blah blah blah EXT2, or EXT3

You will want to choose the EXT2, or EXT3 partition to use. Follow the few steps to use that partition.

I think the next option is to choose which type of loading you want. I will be given a choice of either using GRUB, or LILO. Both are equally good in my eyes (although everyone has a different opinion here). I used GRUB and it seems to work fine for me. It will then ask you to create the boot loader that will actually load your linux OS when you want to use it. Insert another blank disk and sit and wait for it to complete.

It will then ask the basic Timezone, network configuration, language settings, etc.

The next important step is to create the root login and password. This step is very important. The root account is what you will use to do any changes to your linux system. Choose a good password.

Next is Package selection, I would just install them all so you have everything.

Well thats about it. Let the installation take place and you'll be all set. When you want to use the linux OS, just pop in the boot disk and it will load Linux.

NOTE: The initial login screen will use "root"as login.

II. Saving your win os partition.

To save your win OS you will need to use a partitioning program like Partition Magic.

First run a scandisk, surface scan and defrag on your c:\ drive. This is very important. You need to make sure all your data is at the beginning of the drive, and any bad sectors of the Drive are marked as so. Note how much space win has used and write that number down.

Next boot your computer into the Partition Magic program. In the program choose to redo an exisisting partition. Resize the partition and make sure you leave enough room on your win partition for exsisting and future files. Make the rest of the drive a EXT3 partition.

Then just go thru the above installation procedure for the Redhat System. You should be all set.

Hope this helps.

If anyone sees any problems in this PLEASE let me know so I can change it. I'm doing this all from memory.

Banned
    like focmaester said, there are a whack of treads of this topic before.....

please take the few seconds to make a tread search before posting....
    I myself have done that mistake....

System_Overload he did if you notice it is in the "Newbie Questions" forum, also it was under "General Chit-Chat" so as I see no harm no foul
    Beware the quiet ones...

Have a look on this thread of mine. Within it your find to links i found very useful. On a side note partion magic can make the process alot easer IMO.

Kindred
    ForeverLearning