Thread: running XP home edition and linux

running XP home edition and linux

hey guyz i need some help--how do you run WinXP Home & Linux on the same box? WinXP only supports other MS OS's for multiple OS configuration, and I dont want to have to reinstall Windows XP to use Linux's multiple boot. Anybody know a link or a way? Or do i have to take off XP, install Linux, then reinstall XP to use the Linux multi-boot? Help please....

sorry. the above post should be modified. iz it possible to use the WINDOWS XP bootmanager for this? that's my primary q. The above iz a secondary.

Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I'm not sure if you can use the xp bootmanager for dual booting to linux. Its M$ so im guessing no.
    I would just use LILO or grub. They both work well with windows and linux.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Yeah, I second cwk9's opinion. I just installed Mandrake 8.2 in a dual boot with Windows XP. I don't know about the Windows boot manager, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I used LILO and it seems to be working ok. I can but to either one without any trouble. I had XP installed on the box when I got it. So I just resized the Windows partition with Partition Manager and I used Mandrake's installer to format the Linux partitions. I chose the automatic option but there is an expert option where you can do it yourself with more control. One warning, if you repartition XP and you're using the NTFS file system, use something like Partition Magic or Partition Manager. They can handle NTFS partitioning without problems.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

It depends on what Linux distro you are going to install. As long as you got free space you can install linux next to windows and it will automaticly install a bootloader like Grub or Lilo also you can choose not to install a boot loader and boot linux from a floppy disk.

Once again, these sorta questions have been asked hundreds of times.
    Look in the newbie section first before asking the how do I install a linux dual boot with XP.
    Where the heck is Ennis? he's supposed to moderate and close these threads.