Thread: Bound checking help

Unhappy Bound checking help

Hey, I am currently on level 9 for hackerslab and I am not sure what bound checking is. Could someone please explain this to me, and if you have played hackerslab, please do not give me the answer to the level, I just need to know what bound checking is. Thanks.
    Sitting Duck Security check it out

(All right, all right, you guys talked me into it, I will just learn PHP instead of using ASP.)

Use google to look for an article that was in one of the Phrack's by Alpha One, "Smashing the stack for fun and profit". Bound checking is basically what a programmer would do to stop someone from exploiting a coding bug using a buffer overflow. The difference between strcpy and strncpy basically.

Hope this helps.
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

Also as another general note, this should be under the programming security forum as it can also cause issues on windows. Considering you were asking what it was I am taking it that you did not know this at the time of post and that pretty much explains why it is here.....Just thought i would bring it up in cause we end up with like 15 or so replys someone can put it in the right place should someone find that as a nesscessity.
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

Hey thanks dude, that helped a lot, and sorry for posting it in the wrong spot, but like you said I didn't know I just assumed that since hackerslab was linux this would be the spot. Also if I knew how to move it I would, but thanks for the help anyway.
    Sitting Duck Security check it out

(All right, all right, you guys talked me into it, I will just learn PHP instead of using ASP.)