Thread: Linux or Windows?!

Question Linux or Windows?!

hey ,
    my name is mike an im 14 years old. i use microsoft windows ME edition and i want to switch to Linux. I finished qBasic and im learning how to program in C/C++. I heard that Linux is good for programming,faster, and doesn't take up as much space. It's also cheap.
    Questions..
    -Is it worth for me to switch to Linux or just upgrade to Windows XP?
    -If i do decide to get Linux should i hire someone to uninstall Windows and Install Linux?
    -Is what i heard about Linux correct?
    -Is Linux good with internet games such as Counter Strike?
    If you could help me out i would appreciate it. If you have any extra information that would help me out please tell me.
    Please wright back,
    Mike

"sigh"
    yet another newbie linux question that has been answered.
    Why don't you check out the newbie FAQ first before you post?

Is it worth for me to switch to Linux or just upgrade to Windows XP?
    Financially yes, Linux is free so of course it will be worth it. Tearing-hair-outally it might not be because learning Linux is trickier than Windows. It's not just all point and click.

If i do decide to get Linux should i hire someone to uninstall Windows and Install Linux?
    Hell no! You can figure it out yourself. Get the Mandrake Linux distribution. It's really easy to install.

Is what i heard about Linux correct?
    Yes, Linux is cheap, fast and great for programming C/C++. As well as this, it's a more securable OS.

Is Linux good with internet games such as Counter Strike?
    No. Linux is not on par with Windows as a gaming platform as yet but we live in hope.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

im so sorry if i wasted ur time focmaester. im just trying to get a bunch of opinions together

oh yeah.. and tip.. no matter what people say.. NEVER EVER get Debian.. hahahha

The answer is to install both on a dual boot system. I feel like I've gone over this a million times to so just go to www.google.com and type dual boot windows Linux. There should be lots of info to get your started. Linux sucks for games; anyone who says other wise is a liar

One more thing go with Mandrake Linux, it’s on of the easier ones to use and install.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by s0nIc
    oh yeah.. and tip.. no matter what people say.. NEVER EVER get Debian.. hahahha
    LOL... oh come on... Debian Rocks! It's just painful... :lol:

(Seriously though... if you can go through all the pain associated with it, Debian's pretty cool... though I'd probably go with OpenBSD before that... read: a basic system running nothing but a couple of services, no X, etc Considering that I like OpenBSD's TCP/IP Stack a whole lot better than any of the Linux distros, well... if I have to put up an Intel-based UN*X as a server, most likely it'll be OpenBSD)
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Put Linux on if your broke, bored, all your hardware is compatible, Like to read manuals and like to smoke crack. For me it worked out good but there are some things that are just better with using windows. And if you gonna upgrade to XP which is a good choice make sure to get Pro not Home

First of all, Windows is ****!

Why?!! many reasons... here is one of them!
    It uses so much of your recources, take xp for example, it needs 1.5 GBs (Too much!) you could use this space for more useful things!

Linux is good in multi-tasking try running 10 Apps in windows and suffer!
    try this on a Unix based OS!

Try out QNX for an easy start, its good if you wanna know how to use a UNIX based OS
    * just vist: www.qnx.com
    * and download the real time platform

one more thing I don't know about the game thing...
    Confusion, will be my epitaph...
    King Crimson - Epitaph

Originally posted here by crimson_fate
    First of all, Windows is ****!

Why?!! many reasons... here is one of them!
    It uses so much of your recources, take xp for example, it needs 1.5 GBs (Too much!) you could use this space for more useful things!

Linux is good in multi-tasking try running 10 Apps in windows and suffer!
    try this on a Unix based OS!

Try out QNX for an easy start, its good if you wanna know how to use a UNIX based OS
    * just vist: www.qnx.com
    * and download the real time platform

one more thing I don't know about the game thing...

I bet you are one of those windows kiddies that copy pasted that and now wants to act all l33t and **** on this board.
    I bet you only run windows and that you wrote that using windows as well.
    So your point being?