Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO Firewall Project

System_Overload

AO Firewall Project

Here I go again with yet another suggestion...

I was just in irc talking with some guys about firewalls. Basically what it all came down to was Noton is an over rated p.o.s.

Mcafee is a little better then norton but still a p.o.s.

Sygate is good in my book (thats what I use), but some of the other guys think it's also a p.o.s.

So here is the deal I propose that we all get together and make an AO Firewall. Now I know that this will be a huge project, and im sure that it's going to take a long to make, but I really think we should do it. AntiOnline is getting bigger and bigger day by day and thats cool, but we need something big that will put us on the map. Something that will make us the best Security site in the world. Now don't take what I just said in a bad way. This site kicks ass I think it is the best Security site in the world already, but thats just me. Im sure most of you other AO members feel the same way as I do. We have killer Security downloads and text files. We also have a killer forum. Now we need some killer products, and an AO firewall is I think is a good place to start. After that who knows.... Maybe a good Anti Virus program

Any ways just an other suggestion.... I hope you all like it....

System_0verload

Sys....
    Really you are defeating yourself with the whole Firewall software deal....

How can you build a firewall ontop of a OS with holes? You can't the read up on the CISCO PIX and then think about it....no offense but it is better than anything I have yet ran across
    Beware the quiet ones...

System_Overload
    Im might not be reading your post right, so correct me if this does not sound right to you.

Yes I know all os have holes.... Thats why you want a firewall so people cant get throw the holes in your os....

System_0verload

No, sorry I was rushing to type that last one...

All OS's have holes, so if you were to put a Firewall on a computer it would still have the holes that exist unless you patch them and people can take advantage of that....

However if you use a Firewall with no OS...like the pix that runs on CISCO OS, then that is when you really have true protection.

Example. I am running a Symantec Raptor Firewall on a NT server machine, still if there are faults on NT that are normal "exploits" then it is all for nothing cause someone could take that machine through normal exploits. However if I get a hardware Firewall then they have one layer to get through and less to control...instead of having 2 ways in you only have one....and that is harder to do, and the PIX is more manageable.

Also BTW I talked my organization into getting the PIX.
    Beware the quiet ones...

I think it would be a good idea but the motivation is lacking..and haven't othere people sugested other AO projects...but i haven't heard any thing about them.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

We are talking about a software firewall here...
    They will never be perfect.
    What is your market for such a firewall? Is it only for fun?
    If a software firewall has faults, run 2... If 2 isn't enough run 3... and so on...
    well that is if you have the processing power and connection speed...

How about using a proxy for additional protection?
    There are 100 possible combinations out there to further protect yourself, I don't really understand how adding a new possibility will be that much more useful.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Banned
    I recently made my own firewall as well. Only a trojan firewall though that listens and protects the trojan ports. Atleast the main ones...

What a load of crap, first off all, there are no people here capable of writing such software, besides every OS has it's problems.
    If you really wanna discuss this seriously I would suggest meeting Korpdeath, Invictus and NNN aka Etsh in IRC.
    Besides the PIX is not affordable, 100.000 bucks and you got the cheapest one. If you want a good solution for at home then get OpenBSD with PF or download closedBSD wich is much more easier to configure.

System_Overload
    cybermagellan good point...... Now I under stand what you were trying to say... Like I said it's only a suggestion... Im full of idea some are better then others. I guess this one is not such a good idea after all... *lol*

System_0verload

Banned
    Grr....... I said in my post that I made a firewall to protect against trojans, and then someone gives me negative antipoints because of it :@ GRRR.... What did I do??