Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Login problem

Login problem

Hi,
    I'm using Mandrake 8.2. My problem is that I can login without entering a password in the login dialog box. All I have to do is enter my user name and click "go" and I'm in. And I don't have the autologin feature enabled. It will even let me log in as root without a password. If I use the console I have to have the root password, but not with the login gui. What's up with this?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Your using Linux so easy to use that anyone can do it....switch to windows where you won't get in whatsoever
    Beware the quiet ones...

Banned
    Ok first off, cybermagellan, NEVER tell anyone to switch from Linux to Windows

Second of, preacherman481, Im guessing your talking about the root account.... Ok, First try opening up a termenal and typing in 'passwd' this should bring up a dialog asking for your password and allowing you to change it..... If that doesnt work, You could go into the login center (is it in this version?) and double check the autologin and all the settings for your account and for root...

If that doesnt work, Just send me a PM with more details and well figure something out

Could have been worse could have told him to get a mac....

(please don't beat me)
    Beware the quiet ones...

Open the control center. Then under system go to login manager. You'll see a button on the lower right that says administrator mode. Hit it and enter root password. Then go to the convenience tab. You can set auto login there.

As far as root. Never auto login to it or run a gui on it. If you need to do certain file operations use your file manager super-user mode. It will ask you for the root password then you can access all your file system. I myself just place everything in my /home partition to play with. You don't want to unprotect your root though. It's not a good idea.You can open up a shell or filemanager in the super user mode to run programs such as .rpm's or run the software manager and it will ask for the root password as well.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Yup no need to login as root when you can just use the files manager in super-user mode.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Perhaps your user has no password?

Use passwd from the command line to change it.

To determine if an account has no password, do passwd -S <your username>

If it says something like:

Changing password for user whateveryourusernameis
    Empty password.

The password is empty.

Empty passwords are allowed and allow the user in without a password, but once they change it they can never make it empty again (only the superuser can set them)

Originally posted here by cybermagellan
    Could have been worse could have told him to get a mac....

(please don't beat me)
    I still have Windows on my dual boot system, and I like some things about it, but the Linux bug has bitten me hard, and if it takes me until I'm old with a long grey beard I'm going to master this thing.

PS: If certain people at AO hear you talking about Macs like that, you might need a flame proof suit
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Im not positive, but i believe there is an option to allow "automatic login" and "logging in without a password". If so, these can be found in the control center, uncheck them and you should be good to go. Otherwise follow the others' advice.

- mrlin
    \"Not all humans are reasonably good.\" -John Locke

And I don't have the autologin feature enabled.
    Sorry I did not see that part.

Still, however, there is an option for passwordless logins.
    \"Not all humans are reasonably good.\" -John Locke