Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Elven Names for Everyone!

Elven Names for Everyone!

Greetz.
    I've gone temporarily insane, and have decided to learn the Quenya (Elven) language. And, just for fun, I've started translating people's names into Quenya. If you want this done with your name, just give me your first name, and I'll see what I can do for ya.

God bless,
    --Eruntalon the Bovine, aka PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

YAY!!! I've been thinking of changing my name....Mommy can I do....Mommy can I go....Mommy will you....Mommy the dog is bothering me...Mommy, Mommy, Mommy....so now here's my chance!!

My first name is Deborah.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Niere
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Banned
    Jason.....

Jason-- Greek of 'to heal', Quenya envinyata 'heal, renew', so the name would be *drumroll....* Envinyatar, which is also Aragorn's title in LOTR

Jennifer and Angel

where did you learn this? its amazing!
    I stab you with an umbrella and then open it! Cuz I\'m sick like a diseased Ethiopian!
    -ICP
    Who\'s goin next, I\'m dyin to see, Spin The Bottle baby and give it to me!!
    -Twiztid

I'm just a genius

Jennifer-- from the Celtic 'white/fair + soft/smooth'; Quenya losse 'white', pasta 'smooth', to get Lossepaste; also, from the Celtic 'white + wave', so Lossefalme (falma 'wave)

Angel-- from the Greek 'a messenger' or simply 'angel', so Ainu ('angelic power' or 'angelic spirit')

Enjoy!
    --Eruntalon

Tolkien's languages are indeed very fascinating...It's actually led me to start the creation of my own. As for where to learn this (and many of his other languages) go to http://directory.google.com/Top/Scie...ian_Languages/ or in the google directory the path is science > Social Sciences > Language and Linguistics > Constructed Languages > Fictional > Tolkenian Languages.

If you are interested in learning how to create your own: http://directory.google.com/Top/Scie...uage_Creation/ or Science > Social Sciences > Language and Linguistics > Constructed Languages > Language Creation.

btw, my first name is Matt (long: Matthew)
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

IMHO, Quenya is by far the most beautiful language... if only the dictionary was complete. Too many voids are left, but that's okay.

Anyway, here goes for your name.
    Matthew -- from the Hebrew for 'gift of God'; Quenya Eru 'God', anna 'gift', thus your name would be Eruanno. Since you can drop the A when followed by a U, it could also be Erunno

Enjoy!
    --Eruntalon

GreekGoddess
    Christina.....heh