Thread: Weird Linux Problem

Weird Linux Problem

I am running ZipSlack Slackware linux on my laptop. ZipSlack is on its own ext2 partiton. It has lilo and self boots. I am simply using it becasue of space requirements. Anyway, I installed tinyx, extracted and placed the files in all the right directories. Now when I run startx it tells me xinit doesn't exist. I checked xinit is right there, I typed "File xinit" and it registered as an executable program but if I type startx or ./xinit from the directory it says it doesn't exist. Anyone know why? Am I missing something obvious here?

BTW, the permissions are set as far as I can tell, I did a chmod 0755 and I was running as root.
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

Sounds like there's some DLL missing or something - check the following

- Is xinit a shell script, if so does its interpreter exist (hint: the first line might go #!/usr/bin/name-of-some-interpreter if it is)

Otherwise if xinit is a binary, do

ldd `which xinit`

(assuming that you have "which") (Those are backwards quotes)

And it should say something like:

libXmuu.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1 (0x40025000)
    libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40029000)
    libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40038000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40100000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4023c000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

If it says "Not found" for any of them, that's the library (or libraries which is missing).

So a message such as "No such file or directory" doesn't always mean it's the executable itself which is missing (On newer systems (including mine), ld sensibly now tells you which library is missing)

thanks my laptop is at a friends house I'll try this tomorrow
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?