Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: XP or 98se?

XP is definitely the best Windows version since 3.11.
    With Xp, I have the feeling that before I was using a demonstration version and not the complete version of Windows.

Only problems are with the memory (256 Mb at least) and with the configuration. You will have to configure a lot of details in order to have an useful system.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Personally it has been a long time since I have used windows 98se, when I bought my latest computer is had windows ME on it, man is that OS a pain in the ass. I put up with it as long as I could but eventually had to change. For me, my computer use also changed at the same time, no longer did I want to sit there and just use the computer but wanted to understand it a lot more, really get into making a computer work for me. I found this site and since then I have learned loads. There is a lot of talk about using Linux, I had heard of it before it was not something I had used or even started to learn. In the position I’m in I needed to keep windows, I’m a uni student and we are often given programs to use at home when working on projects, these are ALWAYS for windows (this year anyway). I wanted to learn the Linux though so I dual booted my system, Suse Linux 7.3 pro and windows ME. That was it, with Linux on my system I realised the full extent of ME short fallings, but still couldn’t get rid of it. Finally I got the cash together to upgrade my windows. I now have Windows XP pro and Suse 7.3 pro on my system and I wouldn't go back. For me it has been a good step, my system is more stable, I can do everything I need to do on XP. With Suse also I have time to play and learn that OS. The main thing that is an annoyance is that my computer has a win-modem but that’s no biggy. I also know that next year in my course Linux is a big part and dual booting my system allows me to be a step ahead of the course. That's my little bit.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

I have access to most all OS's and I have been through all windows OS,s at home In my honest opinion if you play games 98se is it but if you play "new" games that are win xp compatible get to a pc shop buy a piece of hardware and get an oem copy of xp pro. Make sure you up your ram to at least 128.
    This was already stated several times in this thread....I just concur.

XP "a girlie os" LOL it does look fluffy in a sort of way but its been good to me.

I did like 2000 server but the gamming support turned me off after I was done playing with the server features.

Win Me sucked this was a big mistake I had to patch the stupid thing to get dos functionality to perform checks and maint.
    Integrity...loyalty.....and the willingness to make a better world for us all.