Thread: NEWS: FBI and CIA coming on-line with new powers

Cool NEWS: FBI and CIA coming on-line with new powers

The FBI has assumed new powers to investigate people and organizations not even suspected of crime, with blessings from the US Department of Justice and its terror-terrified Lord Protector John Ashcroft.

FBI Director Robert Mueller laid out the preliminary sketch during a Washington press conference Wednesday. After cleverly castigating himself for the bureaucratic bungling which caused warnings from the Phoenix field office about foreigners taking pilot training last Summer to go unanswered, and which also allowed Zacarias Moussaoui to go without a thorough investigation while he was in custody before the September atrocity, Mueller slickly concluded that the Bureau has got to go about things in a more direct manner, which is of course a scheme he's been rigging for some time. The FBI couldn't have leaked evidence of these failures more cleverly. Once the mainstream press had a chance to be outraged by the shocking revelations which the FBI no doubt deliberately fed them, Mueller beat himself up in public to bolster his arguments, win sympathy among journalists and citizens, and pave the way for his new regime.

These sorts of failures will be inevitable and on-going if the FBI isn't allowed to operate outside the law, was the subtext. Calling anti- terror investigations the FBI's new and primary crusade, he proposed to re-organize the Bureau and transform it into a premier national secret-police force as it had been under J. Edgar Hoover.

The anticipated changes will release agents from antiquated constraints such as requiring evidence of criminal activity before launching an under-cover investigation. Nine hundred agents will be recruited by September in furtherance of this scheme. The new anti- terror undercover shock-troops will be permitted to infiltrate groups of which the government disapproves, including religious groups, and trawl the Net poking about for signs of trouble without prior approval from headquarters.

Cyber-terror was another of Mueller's preoccupations. This will involve a new 'cyber division,' as well as an upgrade of the Bureau's hardware and software systems which the traitor Robert Hanssen owned so easily. Agents will be kept busy chasing down teenaged script kiddies defacing government and military Web sites, along with similar international terrorists and evil-doers. One can also expect database and data-mining software to be upgraded for significant enhancements to the Bureau's ability to bury itself in evidence which it can't sort out.

In addition, the FBI has granted itself permission to work more closely with the CIA, a military support organization currently forbidden to operate within the US. Until the 1970's, and the shocking revelations of the Church Commission, the FBI and CIA were permitted a close working relationship which Congress curtailed after being disgusted by the details of their joint escapades. The FBI got into an embarrassing row with Congress over its Cointelpro program, a vast domestic surveillance network which infiltrated groups and monitored individuals suspected of wrongthinking, such as being less than delighted with the Vietnam war, or imagining that J. Edgar Hoover was a cross-dressing mother's boy or that Presidents Johnson and Nixon were a couple of conniving, manipulative grifters in the pockets of defence contractors.

The specifics of the new federal regime will be laid out Thursday by Lord Protector Ashcroft. ®

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/25508.html

"They're baaaaccckkk..." - Poltergeist II

hhehe damn.. here comes the whole cavalry.. not only we have FBI up our arses but so as the CIA and the Military.. well.. anyone wanna have their say?

Yeah...

I got something to say...

Let them come and learn. Let them get knowledgable in setting up server systems so that their computers will be out of a skiddie's reach. Who knows? Maybe they'll actually get a clue... When they arrive, let us give them a great welcome saying, "You can learn a lot, you dummies!"

For real, though... If their systems are getting hacked and defaced, that should tell you about their security and system administration, shouldn't it? I mean... I should HOPE they're not actually using OS's that MS put out for web services. If they are, then hell... They're just asking for it.

So hey! I say let them come and learn. There's a lot of stuff here on this site that they can use to "tighten" up their systems. I'm all for national security... It just seems odd to me that the people who are supposed to protect it have no clue on how to do so (no... not odd... scary!). NE1 else agree?

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.

These days when I hear the words FBI I laugh because they are a BIG JOKE .
    If they are suppose to be protecting us then we are in really big trouble.The FBI
    couldn't catch a terrorist if one wore an Al-Qaeda t - shirt with the words I work
    for Bin_laden across it in Big Black bold letters.****ing politicians are going to
    be the death of us all,they claim to know so much but the reality is that they dont know ****.

If you want protection count on yourself and protect your own family because the FBI and co.
    dont know what the hell they are doing.Sad to say but the terrorist are two steps ahead of the FBI and co.
    you see the news the FBI is scambling to get thier **** together now,osama and his band of loonies already
    have thier **** on track and thier probly laughing at the FBI and sad to say but the FBI should be abolished and replaced with agents that can THINK.

Crimina1

Hrms...FBI = federal bureau of investigation. Therefore they arent suppose to protect 'us', they just investigate stuff...i guess.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Wohoo. Time for some more "black bag" operations....

"Who's house do you want to bug today?"

Crimina1 is right in a way. The FBI is pretty shitty right now. Unfortunately the reason is their lack of power. During the Hoover era, they had a lot of power and they did what they were supposed to do. Now, with the FBI agents having to follow a stringent set of guidlines and all the bureaocratic bullshit that politions like to use to make themselves look like they have a clue what they are doing, the FBI is pretty much powerless.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    Rev jazzman, I'm sure the feds appreciate your input on their lack of expertise. But you do seem to forget that there are thousands of people with unlimited time in their hands trying to "hack the planet". Everyday our government systems are targeted from all over the world. If you know a thing or two about probabilities, some do manage to get further then others. One of the first things taught in Information Security is that no system is 100% secure, but we can try to keep it safe and somewhat ease the recovery process in case an incident does occur.

There's a shake up in both agencies, I do agree. This is history on the making. Time's changed, and so did the circunstances. The old FBI that used to chase bank robbers and push cops around, now have to worry about every little kid posing as a cyberterrorist and every little possible threat. The old CIA that fought and won the cold war is confronted with much bigger fishes to catch. National security is not a joke. If less privacy from our average citizen and more intelligence gathering is what it takes to avoid the unspeakable, then live with it.

LadyBug,

I have heard so many stories about government agencies getting hacked, defaced, and potentially dangerous information being extracted from their systems. These agencies aren't just the FBI, the CIA, or NASA. It's the police departments and even emergency response teams around the country (and what of these med subscription systems that different dept stores have). These people use the Internet to connect (which is believe is stupid in the first place). That makes them prone for attack. That's a problem.

If the government wants a reasonable amount of security (and I'm not just talking about 13 year old kids trying something they hear about on the Internet... I'm talking about people who are actually out there to do harm to one individual/society or another), they have to create another network, independant of the Internet. It's not like they have to lay another million miles of copper. There's sattellite now. There's encryption that even the "best" hackers would spend their entire life trying to decrypt and maybe figure something out by the time they make their last keystroke...

Until then, the government needs to spend a LOT of time rethinking about the security of their own systems. It doesn't annoy me to think that these people have information on me so much. Heck, I'm the kind of person that will tell just about anybody anything they want to know about me (but they have to at least give me the respect of asking for that nfo). What annoys me is that these clowns have that information on servers that are connected to the Internet and therefore susceptable to both extraction AND manipulation. There's something inherently wrong with this. It's unnerving to to think that the government is this stupid.

This is the information age. You're known by what the computer tells someone about you. That information needs to be protected... Perhaps there is another way of looking at it, but that just seems pretty cut and dry to me.

My point was this... Being that gov agencies are in dire need of more security (and more intelligence, but maybe another time), this is a great place to learn how to keep current.

Regards,

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.