Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindows

Exclamation Lindows

Will Lindows be a success or a failure? Do you guys think it it will work? Just want your opinion..........(I've heard that the people trying to develop it are getting a lot of crud from micr0$hit about licensing).

I’m betting lindows will be a mixed bag. Emulation is never easy but as long as it can run M$ office that should be enough for some people.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Its hard to tell really. Microsoft can't do too much to Linux or any of the other competing OS's, but something that close to their name could fall under some kind of copyright or trademark regulations. Its a interesting idea, but I don't think it will make much of a difference since Linux can already emulate windows, but MS dosent to give its users any choice but MS products.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I wonder if Microsoft has thought about releasing and thing like "Winnix" or something, windows interface and such with linux capabilities on a linux shell.

i think lindows is doomed to fail. who wants to pay money to somebody else rather than m$. lidows is pretty expensive for and emulator, free emulators are getting better all the time and although lindows may have won the recent court battle m$ will find a way to beat them
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Lindows is sweating, look at what they ask to become a beta tester 99 bucks and they don't even have a finished product, I think the whole click and run system is not gonna be finished by the end of this year, it's just that piece of technology that M$ has that they need.

What kind of security expert would want to run an OS that you always have to use the root account on? Also I took a look at the applications that they were promoting would work, and aol was mentioned. I truly doubt many linux users will jump at the chance to use aol.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

i wouldnt go out my way 2 get it i think i will just stick with windows the now till i get linux
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    If Lindows could run games the way Windows does, I'd be buying as many copies as I need to replace Windows. There are MANY advantages that Lindows could bring to the table that Windows has tried to do over the past *decade* and failed.

1: SECURITY...how is a 'root' account any worse than the PLETHORA of problems that Windows has been plagued by over the past years? NT has so many bugs and hacks it's not even funny. A good root password combined with md5 hashes and shadow passwords and a good solid firewall (which ipchains would be able to run flawlessly on) and a compromised root account is not that big of an issue. Also, things like web servers (apache) and mail servers (qmail, sendmail) are also known to be MUCH more secure 'out of the box' than IIS/Exchange ever will be and that's not even giving them the credit of how secure they would be if they were even more properly configured by an experienced 'admin' or by the newbie answering a set of questions during install.
    Education for the new users is key.

2: APPLICATIONS...so Lindows can run dozens and dozens of applications that are windows based. That's good but I want to see GAMES and not just ported-to-linux or linux-compatible games but win32-created games. It's the same argument I've had with vmware or wine. Both of those run emulation for the hardware and can run hundreds of applications for windows but games are very limited due to their direct interaction with the hardware as well as dependence to DX7/8.

3: STABILITY...I don't even have to go into this. It's already a proven fact that linux can outlast even the most tweaked of NT machines so the desktop is a joke. My two linux servers at home (1 runs a Global Operations server, the other runs Apache) have been up for over 100+ days now and yet I still get people telling me on AIM (trillian) how much XP kicks ass because their machine's been up for 15 or so days. Riiiiight, come back to me when you get a three digit number.

These are just 3 points I threw out but from what I've gathered, some of you guys aren't even wanting to give them a try. You'll buy a pre-packaged machine with windows XP or something on it, or even worse, go to Best Buy/etc and BUY a $200 copy of Windows XP Professional yet complain about the cost of a $99 beta. Lindows is trying to make an emulated OS and of course, they need funding. If they had 1/100th of the budget that MS has, it'd be a non-issue but they don't. And point for point, Trillian started out small too and now only requires $5 for a key. Did that prevent me from donating over $70 to them? No...it's a good product and I'll support it any day. I'll do the same for Lindows.

Now if only we get those games to be supported...*sigh*...THAT pisses me off. MS has it SO easy it's unbelievable...they've got everyone chained to the wall because they KNOW game developers are going to make games for their OS first, make thousands of copies at that to the minor hundreds for macs, etc etc...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

bah it will do good! You combine the advantages with Linux and then your also gonna be able to run Window Apps that's hella cool. i don't care what anybody says. Ya'll could go to hell on that one. As far as AOL. Some people don't have a choice not to use AOL. It will be fine in my opinon