Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Probability of "God's" Existence...

[glowpurple]most people make the mistake of attempting to define 'god', to my way of thinking...[/glowpurple]

Or just assuming too much. I mean, you attempt to argue for or against an unknown quantity, a concept that exists only in our minds; therefore you can argue it to mean whatever you want because we're all arguing different points. If that makes sense?

In reference to someone's comment, when it is said that we are made in God's image [Christian concept] I believe what is meant is that we are made with the right to choose good and evil. Supposedly animals are not good or evil, can't appreciate beauty or scorn ugliness. But then that too is open to debate. However, it DOESN'T mean that we look like him or think like him. And then again, I believe in God but I also believe in evolution. Belief is about faith without proof innit?

I also believe that 'God' is a concept mankind is only just beginning to grasp. It'll only get weird if I attempt to develop this but think along the lines of comparing magic in a primitive form to electricity and magnets. Could be the same thing, but now we have greater extension of our own power through a greater comprehension, ja?

Religion is a way of uniting people, much like this website. That sounds shallow but it's often the case. Many people have dissed organised religion and that's fair, but you have to understand that people are often happy to be sheep [used here in the derogatory sense and not the Jesus sense] and like to be gathered and led because it makes them feel like they belong, and that's something that most people spend their lives searching for...ish. It's people who ruin religion when it comes to ruin, not the gods or the principles. Usually the belief systems are pretty sound; I mean anything based on equality, love and respect can in theory only be beneficial right?

Ta if you've actually bothered to read all this! xxx

Banned
    you know, it just occurs to the that the auther must have written this in Las Vagas or some thing to be writing about odds and god..... i never really thought id ever see someone giving odds to god or not........ i mean its like trying to tell god, "yeah ill give you 3 to 1 that the horse in the pink and green will take the win" i mean come on!

i guess in this debate all i can do is quote the philosophy of Volltaire:

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

anyways thats my two cents
    what is love but contempt for hate?

!! indolent: good call! Voltaire is the King of Kings!
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

hmmmmm right now the only ting i know for sure is my eyes hurt >_<;
    heh thats one long article will take another look at it after i have some sleep

v_Ln

expanding on my previous post, I thought I'd point out that Osama bin Laden did exactly that (used religion to gain power/influence people). He took the things muslims believe in and twisted them around until it was people's religious obligation to kill innocent people. Now THAT is misuse of religion.

Well I'm a born again Christian. I realize that a lot of organized religions are used for power and control. But thats where people go wrong the whole denomination thing is about different views of the Bible. I'm a member of the Assembly of God. I don't attend to make myself feel better but because I'm chasing a relationship with the Lord. The Assembly of God is Pentecostal (it means we believe in the infilling of the Holy Spirit). After I was filled with the Holy Spirit I experienced the gift of speaking in tongues. I was speaking in a language I did not know. This may sound crazy to the rest of you but for me it completely proved God's existence.

BTW I'm come here to AO all the time I just don't post very often.

- Mike
    DEVELOPERCLUB.CJB.NET - the best web designer resource well, if it wasn\'t Under Construction

Agnostic ???? i think

Well i dont believe that i could be an atheist :-) and i dont know whether i am really an agnostic !
    I think that god is not some etherial omnipotent being but rather a term for belief systems in general. i think that god is a way of us justifying our existence ? the term god allows us to blame someone or something when things are bad and gives us hope if all goes well ! I find it hard to believe that if God did exist as the omnipotent being we like to think of that there would be so many contradictions in terms of death,crime,drugs etc etc. why would he create us to allow us to destroy ourselves ? then if he did is it just a game or experiment for him or her or whatever (genderless i presume) if at all exists of course. I know one thing if he or she does exist then they certainly aint a hacker cos they wouldnt be able to keep quiet about all the kool things god has done ! they would have to get some credit from us !

I think that god as the devil are just magiciians and the greatest trick they have played is making us believe they dont exist ??? or that they do ????????

i dont know i have a headache now ! what a topic, how about a nice stressless topic like the paradox of time travel ! huh
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

I believe in God, and Jesus. I have actually had a conversation with him once... he spoke through my mouth. I don't know how to explain it, but you could just feel some higher power. I don't know how to explain the part about people being insecure, but how could Jesus have risen out of a grave sealled with a huge boulder... when the Jews, his worst enemies and the people who nailed him to the cross, admit to him rising (to heaven)? Anyway, I just thought I should post and tell you my views... and no I'm not some minister or priest that's always at the church... I just go to church.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Originally posted here by Tuskin
    I dont know why people post religious stuff on here.
    Cosmos
    A forum dealing with philosophy, ethics, morals, laws, logical &
    mathematical problems etc.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.