Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I dont use XP

Post Why I dont use XP

I bought a new computer, which is usually a good thing, but unfortunately it had windows xp on it. I had never used xp, but I had heard that it wasnt nearly as bad as winMe. I decided to try it. After the basic configuration, I was greeted with a stupid annoying dog who dumbed every sentence down and made it seem like the people who buy this type of pc are mentally retarded(only half true). After spending 10 minutes looking for a way to turn the annoying little bastard off, I decided to do what I call "Spring Cleaning", which is where I go to the control panel and delete all the programs that I will never use. I look under add/remove programs, and to my surprise, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer arent listed. Give me a break. If i dont want to use their bloated half ass proprietary crap, i shouldnt have to. its wasting space on my hard drive. Next I had to get rid of all the desktop icons. Being a linux user, Im not a fan of desktop icons and wanted to delete all but the My Computer and trash, but NO. Instead of me being in charge of whats on my system, microsoft is in charge. So at this point I decide to give xp one more chance. I restart the pc, and guess what greets me. the damn mother ****ing talking dog. I turned my 1.8ghz P4 loaded with Windows XP home off more than 2 weeks ago and am currently looking for a "Man's" OS, Im thinking either FreeBSD, or Slackware. Some of us just arent meant to use MS products.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I look under add/remove programs, and to my surprise, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer arent listed. Give me a break.
    Thought it was impossible to use Add/Remove to get rid of Media Player and I.E all the way back to Win98se??
    Those 2 are not listed in my WinMe list!!

WinXP sux....

If you've just bpught your first pc then fine... if not then, don't bother. If you have to use a M$ OS then win2k would be my choice. I had it for 18 months and it crashed twice, which was impressive!

>>d0wn3r
    =======================
    I\'ve lost a lot of things in my time.
    But out of all the things i\'ve lost, i miss my mind the most!

Originally posted here by d0wn3r
    WinXP sux....

If you've just bpught your first pc then fine... if not then, don't bother. If you have to use a M$ OS then win2k would be my choice. I had it for 18 months and it crashed twice, which was impressive!

>>d0wn3r
    18 months and it crashed twice is not an impressive stat. I prefer NEVER crashing. I guess it is impressive for MS though, but *nix wins hands down on stability.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I crashed 3 different XP machines within 15 minutes of sitting at them. I wasn't even trying to exploit them, just running programs programs that were installed on the system already.

TP> You can't remembe IE and WMP. Thats what the entire 9 states vs Microsoft trial is all about. MS claims that if they take out IE, windows won't work any more
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

lol, on my dual boot machine, i've got mandrake and xp, and xp has none of the problems you listed. I can delete whatever i want, and i was able to remove media player..........whenever it boots up, it doesn't have those gay "assistants" and I was even able to download a visual style and a prog that made it work, so now everything is black

I use Windows XP Professional at home and I use Suse 8.0 Professional. IMHO Windows Home does suck. And XP Professional is just a tad better. Though Win2k Pro or XP Pro, I don't care cause I turned off al the XP Pro features so it looks like 2K
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

I use XP, it crashes quite a lot for me (approx 5 / week) , that's possibly cos i am trying to do too much stuff at once. How many chances have Microsoft had at making a decent OS? Lots, yet they just keep revamping the same old crappy one. I have to admit thought that xp does crash far less than Win ME, I've never seen an "assisatant" exept in word, i didn't know they existed outside office.

P
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

XP update yields to settlement terms

By Joe Wilcox
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    June 5, 2002, 4:15 PM PT

Microsoft plans to release a long-anticipated test version of an update to Windows XP on Thursday, a company representative said.
    The update, or Service Pack 1, will ship to about 10,000 testers, according to the representative. As previously reported, it will include features intended to make it easier for consumers to choose third-party software over Microsoft's own products, in compliance with a settlement brokered in Microsoft's 4-year-old antitrust case.

The service pack will introduce four options for managing, customizing or removing Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Windows Messenger, Microsoft's version of the Java Virtual Machine, and competing so-called middleware from other companies.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-932992.html
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Computer Forensics
    XP STILL SUCKS............it always will.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust