Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating websites using Word

Run the pages you've made with Word through HTML Tidy, http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/ , it'll become much easier to add your own pieces of code because Word really messes the code up!
    HTML Tidy is the semi-official validator/code-tidier from the World Wide Web Consortium. It operates in command line and has got a special switch for tidying Word documents (the code is that bad in those, really).
    Tidy also helps with pages made with other tools and by hand.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

If you are deadset on using a Word-type application, I recommend FrontPage 2000. It's a WYSIWYG (ugh!) editor which allows you to insert/view HTML, among other things.

Word? Hell, are you that ****ing desperate? Just go with notepad, you can view the html output in word.

silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

whats wrong with using word for making a few quick pages? if thats all they want, word is great for those who could care less about learning html, js, php or asp but just want to put up ok looking pages fast. with word you could have your pages finished before you find your books on code and not have to learn another application or worry about the infamous FrontPage Extentions.

not everybody wants the same things we do.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Word would be an okay option if it didn't make such horrible spaghetti code. There are better WYSIWYG options such as dreamweaver (though pirated copies of it are generally harder to find ) or even Netscape/Mozilla composer. Dreamweaver especially makes for elegant code.

-DÆmon
    \"Software is like sex- it\'s better when it\'s free.\"
    -Linus Torvalds

I once made a page with Word.
    I will never again.
    If web pages are what you want to do,
    Use Notepad.
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

I use Elizabeth Castro's book 'HTML FOR THE WORLD WIDE WEB' everytime I code with HTML and it's done wonders for me. She says on page 40 (my version) that if you're using Word for raw code, not to use the 'save as HTML' feature as this will 'code your code'. Instead, use 'Save as' and then 'text only ' for the format.

Well erm, I don't really know any HTML and as i'm just making some quick pages I don't think i'll take the time to learn it. I only needed to know how to insert some raw HTML so I could put a page counter on...

I don't have notepad...i have an Apple Mac, and i can understand how Word puts in worthless code, it is a MS product after all. But it will have to do until I can afford something like Dreamweaver...what with bieng a student and all.

Come to think of it, I chose Word because it had some templates :-/
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

Word interprets every

...</p> as a seperate paragraph and formats every paragraph, even if a whole set of paragraphs have identical formatting. It makes the pages about 50,000,000 times bigger....

1st Page 2000

This is the best HTML editor I've ever seen. I use it for my own site. It includes HTML tidy, an explanation of all the html tags (in cooperation with W3C) and for about 400 javascripts. All cut 'n pastable. It's has four modes, Beginner Intermediate Expert and Hardcore. All of them have different menu layouts and different buttons to help you get under way. It also has color coding. No wysiwyg editor, it's pure code. And most of all, it's free to download.

http://www.evrsoft.com/

Hope this helped. It definatly helped me on the way.
    Bleh.