Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about the book of mormon

about the book of mormon

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now, in the back of the Bible it says, "thou shall not take away or add to this book," and if the book of mormon is a "addition to the Bible" then wouldn't that prove the religion to be false since it is based on the book of mormon...

sincerely,
    gh0st

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I ghost I good question, but this should be posted in the cosmos forum, Cosmos
    A forum dealing with philosophy, religion, ethics, morals, laws, logical & mathematical problems, etc.

oh and i'm not anti-mormon

DOH!

You are correct in your idea that since the Bible says that any addition/innovation is not to be added. But I remember seeing a program on the discovery channel that stated they have been able to (by the style of writing or re-writing) identify at least FOUR different authors of the Bible. Under that premise, if the NIV or the King James or what have you, has been modified, then one can not use it as a standard to verify anothers authenticity.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Thumbs up

I remember seeing a program on the discovery channel that stated they have been able to (by the style of writing or re-writing) identify at least FOUR different authors of the Bible.
    The bible itself claims to have been written by dozens
    of authors, over hundreds of years. This doesn't mean
    that it has been tampered with.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    rcgreen said:
    The bible itself claims to have been written by dozens
    of authors, over hundreds of years. This doesn't mean
    that it has been tampered with.
    If I may disagree, I believe it was tampered with. It was written by humans who put in their biased views as to the events as they happened. As such, it is not true to the original events and tampered with.

In addition, with each translation attempts to define ideas or words alter the meaning of the texted. You need only look at the fact that there are many different sects of Christianity.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thumbs up

You need only look at the fact that there are many different sects of Christianity.
    I think the sects are more due to differences in interpretation
    than translation. Most of the text is not in dispute.
    What the religious or moral meaning of it is on the other hand,
    people have a lot of scope to read into it what seems right.

Even contemporary works of literature, people see different
    messages.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Re: about the book of mormon

Originally posted here by I gh0st I
    I've been thinking about this for quite some time now, in the back of the Bible it says, "thou shall not take away or add to this book," and if the book of mormon is a "addition to the Bible" then wouldn't that prove the religion to be false since it is based on the book of mormon...

sincerely,
    gh0st
    Is this the proper forum for such a question?
    Went to the website lds.org for your enquiry, and they don't say anything about the BoM being anything like an "addition to the bible", rather they say it is "another witness for Jesus Christ". reading further into the preface, the book itself says that same thing. will bet the doughnuts that you'll not find anything in there about today's internet, computer technology, computer security, software, hardware or anything else that relates to AO main interests. You might find some ancient history the text says comes from several centuries ago in the north and south american continent, if you read far enough. Now, i've been slightly wrong before on occasion, and i may be incorrect again sometime in the future, but this is not the day. and this is enough religion for one setting.

Thumbs up

Originally posted here by MsMittens

If I may disagree, I believe it was tampered with. It was written by humans who put in their biased views as to the events as they happened. As such, it is not true to the original events and tampered with.

In addition, with each translation attempts to define ideas or words alter the meaning of the texted. You need only look at the fact that there are many different sects of Christianity.
    MsMittens is absolutely correct in her cool and calculated assessment of the historical path the words in the Bible had to take before they arrived at the Guttenberg Press. If you have followed even casually the events surrounding the handling of even the "Dead Sea Scrolls" for the past 60 years or so you can get a general idea of the intensity the Bible texts must have suffered prior to seeing the light of day and the scrutiny of the general public. Countless fingers labored for centuries trying to record with quill, or scribe, or stick, the events as they happened or as they thought they might have happened. In fact, i've heard it on good authority that brother John and brother James (who were recording monks from the historical library) died when their wagon was sideswiped by an army of speeding chariots. When they arrived at the pearly gates, St. Peter was surprised 'cause they were not on his incoming list for that day, so told them they could just hang out for a couple hours until he could get their quarters prepared. Bro John says he'd like to go see all the beautiful trees, grass, flowers and golden buildings, since he'd heard so much about them. Bro James says he'd like to go see the library where all the original texts were kept. St Peter gives them both a temporary visitor's permit. An hour later, Bro John returns to the Gate, and St. Peter sends him to find James. Sure enough there's James, still in the library, great and huge volumes spread all over the place, and old James leaning his face on his arm and just sobbing and stamping his feet for all he's worth. Alarmed, Bro John goes over, pats James on the shoulder and asks; "What's wrong, James, it can't be all that bad...?". James finally gets his voice under control and blurts out; "...Yes it is, John, we were robbed, John, we were robbed, and it's too late now...The *word* was celebrate, celeb<u>R</u>ate!"
    So there ya go. If Bro John and Bro James finally found just one word that had an exrta letter which changed the whole idea, then you can bet probably there are a whole bunch more words that got changed, added or dropped, either accidentally or on purpose. And that probably still doesn't make the book worth any less than it is. Any book that tries to get people to do good things for other people has to be worth it's weight in AU.