Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What programming language...

What programming language...

...would I be best to learn? I know a little of VB and attempted C++ but I didnt have the time to continue with it.

Also what sort of programs can I make in C++? Is it just networking and that?

One last thing anyone got a good site with beginners tutorials for programming.

Thanx

Hi mom!
    In C++, you can create almost anything. I'd suggest starting with java - you can go on from there. There are numberous threads like this, where people ask simillar questions. Look for them in the forums, you'll find lots of information there.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

...would I be best to learn? I know a little of VB and attempted C++ but I didnt have the time to continue with it.

Much of this has been aswered in previous posts but since it's better than most of the newbie questions that have been asked today, I think that it deserves an answer. C++ is very versatile. You can use it for networking, games, databasing apps and even cgi scripts. The list goes on. It's a great language to learn. It really depends on your situation and your desire to learn. As for programming tutorials -> www.google.com.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Thanx Smirc.

Is Visual Basic any good for anything besides small windows applications?

I have managed to make a small program that can enable the registry and can access the run menu. This could be useful on a network system where the admin has disabled the registry and many other features.

Java is a good choice. Just to get you into programming I'd suggest you spend some more time with VB until you feel fully comfortable with it. I'd also suggest that you have a look at Perl.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Banned
    I'm good with C++ to make DOS applications such as a calculator and such and I use VB to make programs. C/C++ can also make programs, I just prefer VB.

heh heh...

I believe its a matter of taste. Of course C is the most powerful of the above mentioned, but Java is most easily implemented on the internet and across various platforms. I'm a VB programmer, and I've found that even though it is a slow language (ie unsuitable for games and such) it is more powerful than most give it credit for. Remember though, it is a fairly high-level language (not in difficulty)
    WE ARE the anti cancer...
    WE ARE the only answer...
    email

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    would I be best to learn? I know a little of VB and attempted C++ but I didnt have the time to continue with it.
    If you don't have time to learn C++ then you don't have time to learn anything else either...cept maybe Logo.
    Almost all decent programs are written in C/C++.
    You can start with the tutorials forum here on AntiOnline.

Anyway, the answer to your first question is all based on personal choice. If you search the forum you will find this question has been asked a LOT. Most of the opinions haven't changed, so look there.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Well I didnt have the time then to learn, but now that school holidays are comming up I can learn as much as i want then

But thanx to ye all for helping me out there

Pandabean,

My personal faves are C and Perl. C is still pretty much the universal language of Unix, it's powerful, it's elegant, and not too hard to learn. I actually tried learning C++ first, then went over to the Unix side, (darth vader breathing) and was an almost instant C convert. If you want object-oriented programming, I'd reccomend learning C and then learning Objective-C. Unlike C++, objective C isn't like picking up a whole new language. It adds the bare minimum necessary to make C object oriented. If you ever get interested in making Cocoa or GNUstep apps, you need Objective-C as well.

Personally, I wouldn't reccomend VB because it's non-portable. As far as I know, VB programs only work on the windoze platform.

Another good choice IMHO would be Perl. Perl is a very, very nice language. If you ever want to do anything with regexes, text manipulation, and don't need ultimate speed, Perl would be a great choice. You can actually make a fairly neat program just be combining some modules from Cpan.org in new and interesting ways. You can also check out Perlmonks.com for some neat hacks people have done with Perl.

Also, a lot of people say Python [Python.org] is a good language for newcomers to programming. It's not my favorite language, but you might want to check it out.

-DÆmon
    \"Software is like sex- it\'s better when it\'s free.\"
    -Linus Torvalds