Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Punk - history

i will have to agree with you, negative. the ramones, although acreditted for beginning the punk movement in america, were not necessarily punk. punk itself, as a movement, has metamorphosized from its original intent, both in england and america. i cannot speak too much about english punk, as i've only known a few and that was when i was there (which was many moons ago).

english punk and american punk, i believe, started for two different reasons. english punk started because of the poor socio-economic conditions. americans in a similar condition felt akin to the music and thus it spread here.

there have been many offshoots of the punk movement, as well as many variations thereof. punk has given birth to:
    ska (a marriage of reggae and punk) which has also had many generations. (i believe were on the third? generation of ska. 1st gen, out of jamaica with the skatalites, desmond dekker. 2nd wave out of england, with the specials, higsons and america, with op ivy. 3rd generation (pop ska) out of america, with likes of bosstones, reel big fish. some bands giving tribute to the 1st generation, such as the slackers.
    thrash: fast tempo, angry, gutteral voice: such as cannibal corpse, avail, black flag at some points in their careers, etc.
    skatepunk: decendents, oh geez, i cant think of them now.
    i have to give credit to bad brains, a group from the 80s, and i believe the first black punk band to make it. (if i'm wrong, please let me know!)

great post, negative!

edit: i wanted to throw in my link for punk lyrics. just an offer:
    http://www.punkbands.com/lyrics/main.htm
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

qwerty you beat me to it!! i was about to mention the bad brains.....they are to me the greatest hardcore punk band of all time. they mixed reggae with pure hardcore and were the first black punk band to make it, and i think they were out of d.c.
    i remember seeing pictures of rollins and H.R. together when rollins was really young and still had long hair.

i got to see them live more than 10years ago in detroit. it was the greatest show i ever saw (until i saw moby recently) not only because of the music, but the crowd was what did it. this was before all the seattle stuff and the new wave of alternative, and the crowd was made up of true punks young and old, skins, rastas, black and white, and (at that time you didnt see many black people at hardcore shows).

cool thread negative.

p.s. how do you know so much about punk, you are from belgium right??? what is the punk scene like there (not incluiding the blink182 fans)??? i know there is a lot of great electronic music in that country (praga khan) but what about hardcore and punk??
    *the wise do sooner what the fools do later.
    --Gracian

wow that brings back many memories.

I grew up listening to the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Corrosion of Conformity, 7 Seconds, Ugly Americans, Punks not Dead, etc.

A few weeks back I went through my old tape collection and started ripping stuff to MP3 because I was worried the tapes weren't going to last much longer... there was already serious degredation in both sound quality, and physical quality of the tapes themselves. Now I have to put them on my play list at work

Thanks for the nostalgic post, and allowing an old man like me to remember days long past.

El Diablo

Banned
    To me punk has always been a movement agianst conforematy. Your also forgeting around 1989 when crapy one hit wonders where everywhere intil subpop grabed punk & indie bands which paved the way into creating Alternative but it wasn't intil around 1992 intil Nirvana came and made this new sound exploded which helped popularize punk and many other sounds agian but then just a few years later other pop derived companies wanted a similair sound and thats when POPpunk got started Now pop-punk was a offshoot of the alternative/punk scene that sub-pop helped make and other industies wanted in on this only they wanted it more radio friendly so thats when they made POPpunk and brought in Blink182 & Greenday.

Negative:
    Henry Rolloins didn't form Black Flag; he didn't even join it until 1981. Their first recording, "nervous Breakdown," had a lineup of Greg Ginn, Keith Morris, Chuck Dukowski, and Brian Migdol. Only Greg and Chuck were still around when Henry joined. But, to be fair, Hank is who most people think of when they think Black Flag.

And don't forget X: Xene, John Doe, Billy Zoom, and DJ Bonebreak combine punk, Chuck Berry, rockabilly, and country into some of the best punk songs ever: Johnny Hit and Run Pauline, Los Angeles, etc.

Originally posted here by Ishvaaag
    Negative:
    Henry Rolloins didn't form Black Flag; he didn't even join it until 1981. Their first recording, "nervous Breakdown," had a lineup of Greg Ginn, Keith Morris, Chuck Dukowski, and Brian Migdol. Only Greg and Chuck were still around when Henry joined. But, to be fair, Hank is who most people think of when they think Black Flag.

And don't forget X: Xene, John Doe, Billy Zoom, and DJ Bonebreak combine punk, Chuck Berry, rockabilly, and country into some of the best punk songs ever: Johnny Hit and Run Pauline, Los Angeles, etc.

Ah, good catch. I meant to post something about that earlier, but I didn't have the chance to go find verifying proof.

I remember reading one of Henry's books about his early days and trying to land a gig with the band. He's a very good writer, and I would recommend his books to anyone who likes his music.

El Diablo

Cool thread....

How about a uniquely Canadian contribution to the international punk scene...
    Dayglo Abortions!
    Between "Argh, ****, Kill" and "I wanna be an East Indian", I didn't know whether to rock it out or laugh my ass off.
    And all this coming from Victoria, a city known more for it's large population of retired people than music, until groups like Swollen Members (Sweet!) and Nelly Furtado (*gag*).
    There's a couple of others, but I'm ill, and I can't think of the band's names...

zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

Re: Punk - history

Those were great times.

Never mind the bollocks
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Well done, very informative and interesting
    \"And everyone knows, that the world is full of stupid people\"

BANNED
    Heh, I don't know who bumped this up (I have a pretty good guess though) but I saw it the other day and thought about it. O well it's a pretty good read.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...