Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balancing attitude

Originally posted here by thesecretfire

I've said it before:
    No, antionline is not a democracy.

Damn right. It's a harsh Dictatorship!

No one forced you to come to antionline.

You're right again! I choose to come here of my own free will. I didn't recieve a message on some website saying "We have detected that you don't visit AntiOnline enough. You will recieve this notice untill you change your way off thinking enough to please us."

Antionline does not provide you with essential humanitarian services.

LOL.You're right again! But I think we as the members make the site what it is. We don't get much out of the site but we do put a hell of alot into it. To be honest, that's the way I like it. I don't want anything from AO, except the ability to assign antipoints however the hell I like.

If you don't like how it's run, you can leave. That's how the internet works.

Another great point. You're on a roll today. You must be on some kind of "brain tonic"...Sorry to dissapoint, but I'm not going anywhere. You'll see me around here for a long time to come....I find it very sad that whenever someone thinks a little differently the solution always seems to be "leave"......Anyway, that's the last of my complaining about this whole "balance" thing....

Ouroboros- Brilliant signature!

Originally posted here by thesecretfire

I've said it before:
    No, antionline is not a democracy. And no, this is not a problem. No one forced you to come to antionline. You were not born into antionline, antionline does not provide you with essential humanitarian services. (for most of us non-addicts, anyway) If you don't like how it's run, you can leave. That's how the internet works.
    And since AntiOnline is not a democracy, that makes it immune to rebellion and energy to change? I fully realize that I can leave anytime that I want to...just stop typing in the link, yeah?. But...much to my confusion...I still love coming to this site and learning the things that I do, and enjoy the time that I spend here....BUT, don't expect me to collapse into a structure that I find to be irrational and unnecessary. Part of supporting things that you enjoy include rebelling against things that you see as flaws in it, in order to make it better. The invisible wall that exists here is the one that surrounds the Administrator of this site... Heaven forbid that anyone gives negative feedback to the 'will of the admin'. That's bullshit, even less than it is weak on the part of the dissenting opinion. Turbulence brings change, always. Thoughts like "if you don't like it, leave" are both ignorant and dismissive, and in themselves, WEAK.
    If you like the AP system, fine...then find some passion to support it. If you don't, fine...find some passion to deride it. The same rule applies in everyday life, with EVERY issue in mind. I get so TIRED of hearing people say, "Well...that's just the way it is.", and leave it at that. In that case...YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN WHEN THE ISSUE AT HAND F**KS YOU IN THE A**. But wait...that is the time that the Sheep say, "This sucks...how come somebody didn't say anything or do anything to prevent this". IDIOTS, all of those who don't bother to bring confrontations to bear and defend themselves and/or their thoughts.
    If you wish to fight for the upholding of something, anything...or the discarding of something, anything...you had damn well better SAY SOMETHING about it.
    Strictly to the concept of AntiPoints...here on www.AntiOnline.com ...I have seen nothing but "Hey, it sucks but deal with it", and "Hey, it's fine with me". Bullshit...it has become an ISSUE here. If you question the topic, if you choose to become involved in any way...be F**king prepared to defend your position, whether for, or against. I'm sick of the pussyfooting around in fear of disgruntling the 'admins' and the 'moderators' in relation to what comes down to a structural policy that tells EVERY user what they can and can't do, and otherwise is inclined to shape their behavior and judgement.

Everyone knows where I stand...but I know nothing about where anyone (aside from a few) stands, in relation to this arguement.
    Either ignore it, and post about the issues that this site was founded for (security, forensics, programming, etc), AND/OR post about these issues (AntiPoints, "PR", 'Community Function'). As with both categories...prepare to defend your position, support your arguements, have some knowledge, etc, just like one would see in the myriad of tutorials and posts spread around in the forums. This 'member privileges and responsibilities' bullshit is not an isolated issue...

Think.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, Personally I think that its you thats making it an issue. I really don't care about the system. I don't let it change who I am. I'll say what I want to say, if you don't like it, so be it. You can't please all the people all the time, so I suggest you stop trying. The ap's are a way to express whether you like what someone said or not. Its just like life. When in life does someone not judge you on what you say, or how you act? Why should it be any different here? If I went to a bar and started acting like an ass, people are gunna let me know. They might say, "Hey, Stop being an *******!" or if I say something that they agreed with they might buy me a beer. Such is life, deal with it.

You're missing the whole point.

Sure, people judge you and you judge them in real life. But, you aren't told how to judge them and you don't recieve a message telling you that you've been judging people wrongly and better change your way of thinking...It's pretty ****ing simple to follow.

Before trying to argue...at least try and grasp my point of view.....

Guys -

I have avoided this quagmire of nonsense for a while, but now I feel like I must speak....

Antionline is a biz, its how JP makes his dough. I think we all know that kiddiots make the site look bad a drive away the good people that make this site worth coming to, also reducing its value to JP. His solution? Use antipoints to help him gague who is being a total idiot, and get rid of them. Now we are all nice guys, we don't use the neg button enough, and kiddiots start to abound. JP is getting tired of stupidity, so he writes a program and new policy designed to help the situation. Now you either have to give more negs, or make your pos. more selective....

Now I don't know that this is what JP has been thinking about, but its reasonable and so is he....so stop whining about how much this system sucks, and lets start talking about security again....

Speaking of....anyone here have any thoughts on wireless security? Big challange in the 8012.b sector....
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    Well, Personally I think that its you thats making it an issue.
    Yes...that has been established.

I really don't care about the system. I don't let it change who I am. I'll say what I want to say, if you don't like it, so be it. You can't please all the people all the time, so I suggest you stop trying.
    Neither do I, ultimately...but I will NOT stop trying to change that which I see as unnecessary and irrelevant.

The ap's are a way to express whether you like what someone said or not. Its just like life. When in life does someone not judge you on what you say, or how you act? Why should it be any different here? If I went to a bar and started acting like an ass, people are gunna let me know. They might say, "Hey, Stop being an *******!" or if I say something that they agreed with they might buy me a beer.
    And posting "Hey! Stop being an *******!" became lost when the AP system was incarnated...thus degrading thoughts and ideas and rebuttals to the concept of colored dots (the kick in the shins being the red dot, and the pint of Guinness being the green dot), when I could just as easily impart those encouragements/recriminations in words alone.

Such is life, deal with it.
    That's the problem, EXACTLY. Stop challenging opposing ideas, and accept a fate (a repression of free-will) that someone else has ordained for you. (It's obvious that AnitPoints won't kill anyone, but bear with the concept).

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

im just sick of stupid people negging me for no reason....

If you have antipoints you probly deserve them... But when u gotta take cheap shots at people to make urself look better its pretty sad and thats how you know YOU are NOT needed HERE!
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Netsyn, I clearly agree with that. Ourboros, you make a lot of good points, and confirmed kill, you managed to say in your last post EXACTLY waht I was trying to, THANKS!
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I wish I saw this post earlier to express my views...

I support this "Balance Is Key" thing, but I'm not going to go tossing negs (anymore - how I regret my first neg...). So my impact on people's AP decreases a little bit when I decide to give them to people I feel deserver AP. There aren't many trouble-makers here, and if there are any, they'd be silenced by people who know them best. I trusted the system to keep the community safe from them, but the system now trusts us... What could be more ironic?

Consider this in real life:
    There is a guy named HappyGoLucky. He talks good of EVERY SINGLE PERSON he meets. At first, people really listen to him. They think that the person is really good. Then, they realize that HappyGoLucky talks good of EVERYBODY! His views conflict with what a few other people think, but he is a good man none the less. Eventually, since he is so forgiving and lenient in giving away encouragement, people start to mistrust him. "How can a guy be so carefree?" His opinions of others is now considered less important than other's opinions of them.

The other side of the coin:
    A guy named EvilMasta disses every single person he meets. At first, he is dissing the people who every body hates. His opinion is considered what the people really want. Then, he goes overboard, and flames EVERYBODY. EvilMasta is then hated by people, but other than that, he is a decent person. His opinion of people falls to what the other people think of them.

Then, "Balance":
    sensei (teacher) is opinionated. If he doesn't like it, he tells people. No keeping it inside. If he likes it, he freely talks of it. He is not scared of the world. People look up to him because of his firm beliefs. His opinion is valued more than HappyGoLucky and EvilMasta, because he will tell you exactly what he wants.

I realize that this is hard to achieve balance considering that we promote good, useful posts from members, and that many members follow that general guideline. The trouble makers are either reformed, or are banned. Everybody wants their kick. Why not just hold back the urge, and keep doing what you want to do. If we never had that 20+ line thing after we log on, we probably would have never known anything about this feature. I will continue to support members good posts, etc., but I am annoyed by that large thing explaining your best course of action. I want that message GONE! It makes for extra scrolling to find content. I hope that the system thinks that it is hopeless to curve me back to balance, and will leave me be, upon my own path..., branching off from the others..., doing as I may...

I wonder if I anticipated such a thing happening when I wrote my quote a few months ago...? Another question for Cosmos...

-Tim_axe

I think too many people assign unnecessary points. I have been here since this AntiPoint BS started. I think the system works well. Though I hardly give points out. When I find a really bad post or flame war I give people negs...when I see a good post I give them positives, no matter who they are. The problem is everyone around here gets in these cliche's and you can tell who they are. THere are people on here who barely talk and have more positives/negative then people who give good solid input. If people just stopped trying to help their friends or butter up people Antipoints would be great. Just like any system though, this is a system we all use to rate others. So if you choose not to start giving negs, your points are worth less, well all of you who don't want to balance out, don't really care about the system. Second, if you don't care, why mess with AP then, you could just stop using them, wouldn't that be a statement. AO has had AP for as long as many people have been here, if you despise them so much, create your own forums or find a better one.

I don't see the point in all the bitching really, this is just like everything else. Next thing you'll all being asking for AntiPoint recounts......
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead