Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balancing attitude

Hi mom!

Exclamation Balancing attitude

I wrote this post in a reply on a thread in which someone created a dummy account on which everyone could dump negative points, in order to balance out their antipoint-status. Somewhere between reading that post and writing this answer, that thread dissapeared. I think it was titled "Balancing Antipoints" or something close to it.

Even now that the thread has dissapeared, I wish to express my feelings on the sudden antipoint rage - partly because I think I have a valid point, partly because I spent 15 minutes typing this text.

Hmm... although this is a clever find, I wonder if it will do any good in the end. Consider my case, for example.

I agree that I have neg'ed way to few people. I did not see any harm in not-neg'ing, and figured that JP and the moderators would filter out the bad apples in the community. After reading the 'balance is key' notification, and the discussions caused by it, I must say JP has a point.

On several occasions, JP told us that the antipoint system included numberous balances and checks in the form of different algoritmes. Why stress those by starting to create 'kick-me!' accounts? Although seemingly innocent, you could be disrupting some parts of the antipoint systems by trying to balancing your antipoints the quick way. Instead, try to adjust your antipoint-behaviour. Your balance will come, eventually.

Another unrelated but unwanted effect of this new balance-rage is that some newbie who askes just one wrong question as almost instandly banned from the system, as illustrated by the 'Balancing Time!' posts that are appearing. Like I said, don't search for posts you can dump your neg's, just adjust your spending behaviour.

Added June 11th, 10:11 GMT
    This is a note to one of (anonymous) persons that assigned me antipoints, you know who you are. You are either completely ignorant or the brilliantly sarcastic. I had a good laugh. Oh, and forget about that "I wish to contact you" thingy, I was merely trying to get this message across.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Well, I am getting pretty sick of seeing antipoint threads again, but you make some very good points, and I definately agree with you. How many times have you givin antipoints to a decent thread? I am not talking about a really good thread, but just something that you agree with. For every time you have done that, I am sure there has been at least one time that you could have given negative points to a thread that was just a little bad. The point is, to become balanced, you just have to stop giving points to ok threads. Only give out the points when they are actually deserved.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I agree Souleman... Im also seeing a lot of negs flying around on posts that arent really that bad, and getting the neg signed with "sorry, I have to get balanced, so I dumped this on you..." That also seems to defeat the intention that JP probably had. If you want to get into the "balanced" area, follow the advice of the wise people in this post and stop tossing negs around blindly and without reason just to get "balanced".
    My two cents.
    (Im also getting tired of the "abuse" or "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" whining threads.

Avenger
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

"sorry, I have to get balanced, so I dumped this on you..."

"Balance", indeed.

Indictment and repression of judgement and inclination to our freedom of purpose, in truth.

Zero is wonderful.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I recall reading Guus's post, and I believe someone created a user named antibalace, but I guess it got dumped with so many antipoints that the nwe systems booted it within 24 hours

One word: KARMA

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

Originally posted here by Ouroboros
    "sorry, I have to get balanced, so I dumped this on you..."

Indictment and repression of judgement and inclination to our freedom of purpose, in truth.

Ouroboros
    Brilliant. If I may add to that- Yes, AntiOnline is a community. Decide for yourself which community it resembles....

de·moc·ra·cy Pronunciation Key (d-mkr-s)
    n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies

1.Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    2.A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3.The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    Majority rule.
    4.The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

dic·ta·tor·ship Pronunciation Key (dk-ttr-shp, dkt-)
    n.

1.The office or tenure of a dictator.
    2.A state or government under dictatorial rule.
    3.Absolute or despotic control or power.

I think it's very clear which path the site is heading down......

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I think this is only gunna last for a little while. Once people get balanced all this neg points going around will stop and things will be back to normal.. just give it time my friends.

xmadness is right, it's been like 1 day since the implementation, let's leave it alone and see what turns out.

Originally posted here by Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    I think it's very clear which path the site is heading down......
    I've said it before:
    No, antionline is not a democracy. And no, this is not a problem. No one forced you to come to antionline. You were not born into antionline, antionline does not provide you with essential humanitarian services. (for most of us non-addicts, anyway) If you don't like how it's run, you can leave. That's how the internet works.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.