View Poll Results: Who will win the World Cup final?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • BRAZIL

11 73.33%
  • GERMANY

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ~*~*The Blue NoWhere*~*~

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Humm, I am starting to think that this should be in Product/Book reviews. I haven't read it yet, but may have to.

Anyway, eventually AI will get that far, but for now, I don't think so. As far as a program that knows when to destroy itself, they are already in existance in military use. On certain military vehicles (planes, tanks, etc) there is a program that does nothing but monitor the vehicle. If the vehicle is somehow "destroyed" this program destoys all confidential information before the computers can be "captured". I don't know how in depth the system goes (if it just wipes the disks, or physically destroys them), but I know it exists. Actually, I am not positive that it has even been put in production yet, but it was being written by a company in Michigan that I talked to about working with. I assume there has to be a lot of error checking though, because a false positive (like a flat tire) could result in the death of everyone in the vehicle...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I think you've just been victim of another random negative-ap "balancing" run, RogueSpy. They seem to be popping up now and again.

::EDIT::

Great. This is my illustrious 250th post

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

on the way to Barnes & Noble.............

I read the book 2 months ago.. and it was a fairly good book but like in the tv shows
    and movies , Jeffery Deaver kinda overplayed things a bit.

one thing i really questioned was how Gillette (main good guy hacker) looked some of phates
    code and proclaimed that phate used an "east coast" version of unix.
    now we all know that berkely modified bell labs' version.. but nowadays, there isn't such a thing as east coast/west coast versions..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I believe the term "East Coast/West Coast" came from some research that Deaver did that was dated. I know I've heard the term before but can't for the life of me remember where (maybe it was @Large).

For those curious there is a website. The Blue Nowhere
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Uhm. I never read it, and have no idea what is going on... but what if the code contained timezone information in some way shape or form? To simplify setting up a program one might tell it to assume all commands involving time are given in EST... <shrug>
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well maybe but its more the type of *nix, specifically Unix. So BSD would be West Coast and SVR4 would be East Coast. That kind of thing (where they were developed).

Sumdumguy is correct in that it really doesn't apply as much today but I think for older "hackers" who grew up on one version of *nix specifically it would be visible based on the commands they attempted to type that work in one *nix and not the other.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    AI may soon be on its way here.

Taken From MSNBC.COM directly from HERE.
    AUSTIN, Texas, June 10 — Day after day since 1984, teams of programmers, linguists, theologians, mathematicians and philosophers have plugged away at a $60 million project they hope will transform human existence: teaching a computer common sense.

THEY HAVE BEEN feeding a database named Cyc 1.4 million truths and generalities about daily life so it can automatically make assumptions humans make: Creatures that die stay dead. Dogs have spines. Scaling a cliff requires intense physical effort. Though some critics question the potential of this painstaking effort, the inventors believe Cyc will form the brains of computers with supercharged reasoning abilities — which could help us work more efficiently, make us understand each other better and even help us predict the previously unforeseeable.
    Cyc (pronounced “psych”) has already helped Lycos generate more relevant results on its Internet search engine. The military, which has invested $25 million in Cyc, is testing it as an intelligence tool in the war against terrorism. Companies use Cyc to unify disparate databases and are examining a new application that warns when computer networks have vulnerabilities hackers can exploit.
    This spring, the developers’ company, Cycorp Inc., sent their 18-year-old creation off for some higher education, creating a Web link to let the public download Cyc’s knowledge base and teach it things, too. Cycorp’s founder and president, Doug Lenat, believes that if enough people log in to share more of the world’s collective wisdom, Cyc quickly will become vastly more useful. For now, Cyc is just a few hundred megabytes that can be stored on a single CD. Someday, Lenat envisions it becoming standard equipment in computers or being placed on a network server to fuel dozens of applications. It could annotate e-mails to put them in better context for their recipients, serve as an instant language translator, even offer humans advice from varying points of view.
    “This is the most exciting time we’ve ever seen with the project. We stand on the threshold of success,” Lenat, 51, said recently in Cycorp’s offices in a quiet Austin complex. “What people are able to do on a day-by-day basis could be dramatically increased if we are successful.”

A FANTASY FOR DECADES
    Such hopes are not new in artificial intelligence, which has to date produced far more disappointment than marvel. As early as the 1940s, researchers envisioned computers that could hold vast amounts of knowledge, learn from experience and reason for themselves. The fantasy was most famously depicted by HAL, the talking computer that operates a spaceship but turns murderous in ”2001: A Space Odyssey.”
    While early artificial intelligence showed promise, it was of limited use beyond specific tasks. One 1970s program helped doctors diagnose kinds of meningitis by asking for details about a patient’s condition. But the program also would determine that a burned-out car had meningitis, because it had no way of knowing that was ridiculous. Other programs would fail to find anything wrong with a database entry that showed a 25-year-old with 20 years of job experience. The problem is that computers are programmed with a series of ironclad statements, and human speech is full of nuance and ambiguity. When someone says, “Mary and Sue are sisters,” we know she probably means the two are siblings. A computer can be taught to understand that, but without proper programming, it might also think “Mary and Sue are mothers” means they are each other’s mothers.

A CATALOG OF COMMON SENSE
    In 1983, when Lenat was a professor at Stanford University and a researcher for Atari, he decided artificial intelligence would go nowhere unless someone took the time to create a catalog of common sense that would let a computer recognize absurdities as well as humans can. With colleagues at Microelectronics Computer Corp., a technology research consortium, Lenat began creating Cyc in 1984. By typing messages in CycL, a programming language created especially for Cyc, Lenat’s team first taught it that there are things in the world, and that some are individual (such as the Parthenon) and others are collections (historic sites). The programmers eventually took chunks of text and thought about every assumption the author knew readers would make. Upon reading something about how the Duke of Wellington was moved by Napoleon’s death, the programmers decided to tell Cyc it could assume Wellington outlived Napoleon, knew him when he was alive, heard about his death — and so on. The goal was not just to fill Cyc with straightforward facts but to “generalize as much as possible until further generalization would be false,” Lenat said. The result is that if you ask Cyc whether Lassie has a nose, it would reason that Lassie is a collie, collies are dogs, dogs are macroscopic vertebrates and macroscopic vertebrates have noses, so yes. The researchers also told Cyc to ask questions if it decides it needs more clarity about a concept.
    In 1986 Cyc asked whether it was human. That same year it asked whether any other computers were engaged in such a project. Lenat’s team taught Cyc to make sure everything it was told conformed with everything it already knew - a protection that should keep Cyc from being filled with erroneous information during its public education, which for now is possible only on computers with the Linux operating system. Already its knowledge appears wide-ranging. Ask Cyc whether al-Qaida might possess anthrax, and it will tell you it presumes you are not referring to the heavy-metal band Anthrax.

SEXUAL ADOLESCENCE WITH LYCOS
    Cycorp was spun off in 1994 into a privately held company, although an atypical one. Rather than distract the 60 employees — known as Cyclists — from their mission to make Cyc a gift to the world, Cycorp makes no sales calls, no pitches to investors, no press releases. Even so, Lenat says Cycorp has been profitable from inception, funded by the government, private investors and side projects such as the Lycos search-engine deal, which ended last year. Cyc’s job at Lycos was to make sense of ambiguous search results. If a user entered “vets,” Cyc would ask whether he meant veterinarians or veterans and then have appropriate follow-up questions. Amusingly, the Lycos stint provided Cyc with an adolescence, because it learned about sex-related terms users typed into the search engine. Cyc’s programmers taught it that certain things in the world are salacious and shouldn’t be mentioned in everyday applications.
    The job ended because of turnover at Lycos after it was bought by Terra Networks. Cyc showed promise and could be brought back, though it can’t improve search engines all by itself, said Tom Wilde, Terra Lycos’ general manager of search services. Still needed before searching can get smarter, he said, are other technologies - one to improve how Web documents are analyzed, and another to let users provide information about themselves so queries have more context.

THE RIGHT APPROACH?
    Indeed, some artificial intelligence experts question whether Cyc can be as revolutionary as Lenat predicts. They claim it is far more efficient to make computers search for and identify patterns than to have them follow predetermined sets of rules. For example, while Cyc can be taught what kind of information is kept in employment databases, computers could gain that same understanding by scanning dozens of databases and analyzing patterns the files have in common.
    “What really matters at the end of the day is that it does the right task,” said P. Pandurang Nayak, chief architect for Stratify Inc., which uses pattern-matching technology to manage data in various kinds of files. “There’s a lot more to common sense than can be captured in a set of rules. Therein lies my skepticism to the Cyc approach.” Inventor and futurist author Ray Kurzweil believes both approaches are right - that a combination of pattern recognition and a rule-based backbone like Cyc will form the basis of true artificial intelligence.
    “We’re not going to spoon-feed all of our knowledge one rule at a time. That’s not how our brains work,” he said. “I do think we could take Cyc as the seed for a self-organizing system that would then learn on its own.” Lenat agrees, but finds the debate silly. He’s too concerned with perfecting Cycorp’s end of the equation, and dreaming big about what Cyc might help humans do.
    “I look forward to living in that world,” he said, “and bringing that world into being.”

good book

I read the one chapter excerpt... the end had a twist on it...

(makes mental note of title)

Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!