View Poll Results: Who will win the World Cup final?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • BRAZIL

11 73.33%
  • GERMANY

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ~*~*The Blue NoWhere*~*~

~*~*The Blue NoWhere*~*~

I am currently reading The Blue NoWhere by Jeffery Deaver. This is an awesome book. Just wondering something. This program that Phate is using. . . . TrapDoor. Is that actually possible to create. A program that can think on its own? A program that knows when to destroy itself? When it comes right down to it. . . if it were possible to create this program, you could do anything you wanted. And you couldn't be stoped. For those of you who have read this book. . . do you think this is possible? For those of you who havn't read it. . . GO BUY IT!! It rocks!
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the information on the book. I'm gunna try to buy it. Thanks!
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Banned

Re: ~*~*The Blue NoWhere*~*~

Sounds like a good book, going to pick it up.

Originally posted here by RogueSpy
    A program that knows when to destroy itself?
    */ Bad Joke - Kind of sounds like Windows.

Haha. You have a good point. Windows is just one big virus.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Windows is more than a virus my friends....it is you enemy. It can crash, AT ANY GIVEN TIME!
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Windows is not a virus!
    Viruses do something...

Banned
    Windows is not a virus...
    Viruses do the task they were written to do...

Thanks for the suggestion on the book...

As for a program that can think for itself....
    hmm...
    The only I can think of, computer wise, that would destroy itself is Cyrix from Mortal Kombat (Fatality - Kamakazy)

Where do you draw the line between logical decissions made based on a certain criteria and aqtual thinking? To me, the latter suggests an existence of free will. Something that, based on what we know of life and computers today, seems quite impossible to implement.

I think the sky is the limit when it comes to Artificial Intelligence but it will alway be just that. Artificial. A computer will never respond to a certain event in a manner it wasn't programmed to do.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I've actually finished the book. It's quite good and hits on many things that exist now (social engineering used amazingly) and some things that don't. Right now Trapdoor I believe isn't possible but the future holds lots of treasures for both security and attackers alike. One thing is to remember to Think Outside the Box. That is what many manufacturers fail to do. We often hear "But it wasn't designed to be used like that!". Well, no duh. But it is so deal with it.

It will come at some point.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hmmmm. Whoever read this thread & assigned me negative points. . . I would like to speak with you. What I posted was my own opinion. Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion. I am not flaming or bothering anyone. I just want an explination. Or are you gona hide in the shadows?