Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: choosing an o/s for small web server

choosing an o/s for small web server

I need to know what o/s I should use for a small internet site. Right now I'm usin WinME on a cheap 667 mhz box, and I'm soon gunna switch to a deticated server.

BTW, is WinNT 4.0 made specifically for servers, or for network workstations? Also, is it command line? I need the specs please!

I was also lookin into linux. Is it hard/easy to configure, and can I use some DOS progs that I already use on WinME? Or do I have to use the progs made specifically for linux?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Nt 4 was made to be a server OS and some still use it for that purpose, but it is old and not very secure without a lot of patching. Id suggest a freely downloadable distro of linux or BSD.

use Win2k Advanced server, I've only used win2k pro, but it's good, and some people worship win2k adv. server........

If you want to use something simple and easy to maintain then download the e-smith server from www.mitel.com

It's a special Red Hat based distro wich is easily maintained and configured.

Banned
    In mostly every windows machine, you can configure it to work out as a great webserver. NT works best but if you go to start > settings> control panel>system>performance> file system. Then from their you can choose what the main purpose is for that specific computer. Generally, they are Desktop Computer, Network Server, or Mobile/ Docking Station. You would choose network server so it would be more compatible to use the webserver and it would better the actual server side of the computer. Just a small tip since it works for me.

If you don't mind learning something new, and dont' have a lot of money to spend, I suggest, getting a Linux Distribution or one of the BSD's. No windows or Dos programs will work on these OS's, unless you install Wine. And even then it might not work.

Windows NT comes in two flavors. NT Server and NT Workstation. Personally, I wouldn't use NT, but would go with Win2k Pro, or Advanced Server. If you don't have several thousand dollars, don't even think about getting Win2k Advanced Server. Win2k Pro is cheaper, around $120 now. And is as stable as Advanced Server. It is geared mostly towards the desktop. But that doesn't mean a whole lot; just some 'advanced' server tools won't come with it, as they do with Win2k Advanced Server.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

As a dues paying memeber of the Mac Cult, I have to suggest you think about Server X. True you do have to use mac hardware, but getting a iMac (the older G3) is cheap, and would run a small website. The XServe is also a great dedicated piece of hardware... and X is based on BSD, so it will run apache and other super unix progs....

Just my biases 2 ¢
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    windows 2k server or advanced serv all the way...since ur pc probably wont run on linux to the fact it is probably a winmodem :/....but if i where u and i can afford adv serv do that or atleast server....but i htink even 2k pro is better than nt 4 ...gl
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Antionline Herpetologist
    I'd suggest that you go with Apache on FreeBSD. Check out FreeBSD on http://freebsd.org
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

frm what i know, microsoft is going to stop support for winNT soon. i recommend win2k. whether it be professional, server, advanced serv or datacentre, it's your choice. although you need at least 256mb ram recommended for win2k to run smoothly.

for linux, unless you're really an expert in it, it'll be better to run in GUI mode when you install n configure. its more stable, less requirements but more complicated. remember to have another drive as swap drive when using it.
    [shadow]Powertendstocorruptandabsolutepowercorruptsabsolutely. - Lord Acton[/shadow]