Thread: perl2exe problems

perl2exe problems

Hi, for all of you who don't know, perl2exe if a program that will compile perl scripts into executables, i also found a bat2exe but thats another story, anyway, the execuatable that it produces is quite big. A simple program such as a find utility simular to the one that comes with DOS would take up about 1 megs or more of space, which is large considering the task it preforms is simple. So to solve the problem i began to investigate binding and compressing. I found a program at www.simtel.net called lzexe91e which is free. It is suposed to compress exe files to a smaller size, yet it does not work with all exe's, I dont know why. So i tryed it on a exe i had made with perl2exe, i made a backup before i did the compressing just in case. As it began to compress my exe it warned me that it was haveing problems compressing, then it asked me if i wanted to continue, i clicked continue because i wanted some adventure. Lucky I did the backup because it repalced my original. Not only that but, the new compressed exe does not work, when run it sais it will not run in DOS mode, which I found kinda hairy, being that it was a dos app in the first place. So my question is does anyone know of a exe compresser that I can use to compress my exe files created with perl2exe. I think seeing that perl is a scripting language and not a compiled language, the perl2exe has to do a complex aligrithm just to compile it, so that problably has something to do with the size, and ultimately why it wont compress. I know it would be much easyer to do in C, but I am lazy and adventuris :P
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

I don't think I really understand and prolly shouldn't be posting, but it sounds like your trying to make a standalone app w/ perl?? It's gotta be big cause if it's an executable it's gonna have to add the interpreter, hence the bloat. If the app is a big and lengthy project the tradeoff might not be that bad, but if it's little wouldn't be worth it.

Cool Re: perl2exe problems

Programming Perl for a GUI type environment... unorthodox, but nice I envy your patience.
    As for compressing *.exe files... I am not too sure on this one. You would have better
    luck just using VB to compress your exe files. That might work but it is unorthodox.
    Tee hee an unorthodox way to use your unorthodox programming.
    Nice one.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Lumina

10X for your help, I will keep looking around, I think you are right about it not being worth it, I am just useing it for small applications, it is nice to try though, just for the learning experice, I was woundering why it was so big, thank you for pointing that out. I did try some GUI but had no luck, I tryed the tk and Win32::GUI modules but could not get them to work. I love perl so much, I wish it was a compiled language.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~