Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?antivirus Conspiracy?

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man

Question ?antivirus Conspiracy?

I was thinking about the Antivirus software that is out there. We have two companys that dominate the industry. McAffee, and Norton. I am relating these companys to drug companys.
    Both deal with virus's just on a different level. Well, in order to properly create a fix and patch, you must fully understand the way the virus works. Now I have seen some pretty intracit virri. For even the most experienced programmer would take days if not weeks to crack and then figure the mother ****er out, see what it does, deletes, changes, how it recreates it self....

At this point I wonder how they get these patches and fixes so quickly. I mean its almost as soon as i hear about it, they have a fix. Very efficient, or very deceptive?

I seem to remember alot of conspiracy theorys about how HIV was created to be the worst virus ever. And when it was created, it was created with a vaccin/cure. But the strain had mutated so much that the vaccin/cure did not work. Do antivirus software companys have something in comman with this conspiracy theory? Maybe....

I always second guess the companys that "defend"....
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

The Iceman Cometh
    lol Honestly... you bring up some very good points. Maybe someone should start their own AntiVirus company, and write brand new viruses which only they can fix. The fallout from Norton and McAfee could be interesting. :-D

AJ

Well, I've been thinking this for quite a while, myself... frankly, I wouldn't doubt it that the antivirus companies, at one point, were one of the largest "contributors" of new strains to the Internet. I also find it rather funny that the federal government can somehow, for particular viruses, track the thing all the way to its origin and arrest the bonehead... I mean, for simple word docs that are frankly damn easy to forge. But for some of the others that would appear to have much bigger/simpler signatures, it's almost like they're clueless and have no hope...

But, to their credit, I believe certain worms and viruses work in such a pattern that certain IDS systems can pick them up... there's almost always one or two failed attempts before something "big" gets out... so, working off the failed attempts, perhaps they can get a better idea of "what's coming."

I also believe, to a certain extent, virus writers can be like arsonists... basically "start a fire and call the fire department once it gets going." Or similiar to the way defacements used to work... deface a site then go report it to attrition to "photograph" your work (or so it had seemed).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

<sigh> Another /. reader.

Eh... /. -- it's still around?
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I always second guess the companys that "defend"....
    Don't worry Dr Toker, we will take care of you
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Man, is it me, or is DrToker living up to his name? All that weed is making you waay too paranoid man.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    I think that may be the case....
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

my opinion of most antivirus software is they work by eating up so much space on your hdd that no virus could then possibly reside on it.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

I second that, Jabber. And don't forget Norton CrashGuard... What a misnomer...

I doubt there really is a conspiracy, but they DO use a bit of FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) mongering to sell products, as the recent McAffee statements on the supposed JPG infector can attest...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency