Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HTML security

Microsoft used to have a script-encoder. Check out microsoft.com/scripting.

Edited: Found the encoder here. CHeck it out. It sorta works.

I have to agree with Slarty on the best way to protect your source code. I have seen a couple of solutions like that. They are easily crackable if you know some basic scripting but it takes stops most people from bothering.

I can't see why you'd wanna hide your source anyway? The way I figure source should never be hidden. There simply are no valid reasons for it.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Originally posted here by slarty
    See this URL for an example
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/slarty2/hide.html
    This was a nice one. I can't write javascript code but I obviously can read it because I solved this in some five, ten minutes. (The contents come from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/slarty2...ff2791ff1e9.js ) I downloaded the script hide.js and altered the first line to
    Code:
    var hashcode = hash("http://homepage.ntlworld.com/slarty2/hide.html");
    and put a
    Code:
    document.write(str)
    at the end of the script.

cmdrpiper, what possible things on the code of your page are so secret you don't want anyone to see them? (I hope the answer is something like "important passwords", that would give me a good laugh )
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Pardon my n00b factor here on this one, but couldn't you just use ASP coding to hide your vital coding? You could essentially use the same Javascript document.write trick but if you put it within ASP coding it theoretically should just shoot back the html to the document without showing the viewer what was done to get it. Am I wrong on this one guys?
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

OMFG, thanks for replying to a thread over a year old and thanks for not reading the first post and thanks for not understanding the dates on the posts blink for a reason.

Yes, you can hide any possible code by using a server side language like ASP or PHP but cmdrpiper wanted to hide the html source of the page:
    I am trying to hide html code that is on a webpage from being viewed through the source code viewer in IE or any browser...
    Don't be surprized if someone decides to neg your post.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Ninja Code Monkey
    The guy wanted to hide some html tags, not server side code. And no, there is no way to truly hide the html tags. You can make it annoying to get to with some javascript but javascript can be turned off. Any type of encoding method used has to be decoded at the client side and is usually trivial to break anyways. If it was difficult then it most likely wouldn't be used because the browser would have to decode it and would most likely make it take longer to see the pages.

As it goes to server side code, there are methods to encode that as well but they suffer from the same problem. The methods used are trivial to break and anything better isn't really worth using (i.e. better ways to protect information at less cost of resources). There is pre-compilation, but there are methods around that as well.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

If you are qood with javascript you could have the index be the entryway to the site instead of the actual site and have it that when you click a link/image/etc... to enter the site it will open a new window without the menus and also have rightclick disabled. a bit more then the average joe is willing to go through to see your code but it can definitely be bypassed. Also with the javascript right click disablers if you right click and hit enter when the alert comes up a couple times really fast javascript will get confused and show the rightclick menu also.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Source Code Encrypter

I know this has been pretty much resolved already, but I thought someone might like to know an alternative.

Dynamicdrive.com has lots of different code for special effects on html pages, including tables, transition effect, cursor tricks, etc., etc.

I found this Source Code Encrypter at:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/encrypter.htm

Maybe that will help too?

Watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Try freeware/shareware apps for HTML compression, encryption. You can set no offline use for page(s) as well. Or code your own.

GL

Do the whole site in Flash.
    Or make your HTML one big huge line so anyone looking through it will give up trying to read.
    Of course, if someone really wants to find something, they will.