Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 or ME?

Thumbs up Re: Windows...

Originally posted here by p3pC
    As for XP, I tried it and have gone back to 98 because it just wasn't up to what it should be, it would crash for no reason and was buggy. All my friends/colleagues that have tried it have gone back to their old OS's within a fortnight.
    Yeah in XPs were, are and will be mistakes. As in every OS. Even in (for some people glorious linux). But for example when your computer is connected to the internet or more then one people access it or whatever... Security of 98 is at zero level... I would definitely go for XP Pro if you can...
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

First off, I'd agree with everyone else that ME sucks big wang. Aside from that, it really depends on the machine you're installing it on. If, for example, you were deciding between 98 SE, 2K, or XP for a PII-350 with 64 MB of RAM, I'd probably suggest 98 SE. It's has a smaller footprint on your system resources, and would probably handle much better than 2K or XP on such a limited system. If you've got the resources, however, I have heard that XP can be fairly efficient. I haven't tried XP, though. I'm running 2000-Pro for all my Win games, and it runs great on my Athlon Duron-750 / 256 MB RAM.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Do not get ME, it's crap, 98SE out of those two. I got XP and have only had one problem with games. Mind You it was a crappy game I bought from the CooP. lol
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

98SE all the way. It's way better than ME although I'd rather take 2k.

I definitely choose WIN98/WIN98SE. It's more stable that WINME. But if I were you I'd rather install WIN XP.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

I run XP on my primary gaming machine, I've never yet had a single crash....it's XP home, too! There's no problem with it. Go with XP or Win2k, like everybody else said.

I have windows ME, you can run every single game you want but other than it sucks. I would go for windows 98/SE, but if you have the money and a good computer windows 2k.

98SE

98SE is better than ME, (XP, will have problems with some games) whatever you pick don't forget to update it by going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com , That can help you to have better securty.

good luck

I used to have ME on and I never had any real problems with it. However by all accounts it looks like I was one of the lucky ones. 98se is tried and true. Any problem you might get with it there is bound to be a solution somewhere on the net. Windows2k is pretty good but XP is probably a better option if for gamming. I run XP now - runs pretty well. Only games I have trouble with are my old dos ones. Most new ones run fine or have a patch available.

Anything would be better than ME, even if you can only use windows 3.0 lol, no seriously tho 98se or 2k work fine, and XP is good too, I'm running it on a system with 96MB of ram.
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?