Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 or ME?

Ah Win 3.1. Maybe the best Windows version. But a little old.
    The differences between Win 98 and ME depend of the machine. I had more problem with 98 than Me into my computer. So...

But it's true XP is a good OS and There are only problems with old games (some MS-dos games, Worms armageddon...)
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I vote for Win98/Win98SE.

Really, I vote against ME. :

I vote Win98se
    As for Win ME all i can say is "throw salt over left shoulder turn around twice ,spit walkaway and dont look back"
    regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Lightbulb

If its a choice between 98 and ME, I would go with 98 SE every time. ME just simply sucks. Also, 2k is great for gaming. I am running it right now for my gaming machine.
    Uraloony is right; ME is a piece of garbage (I've run it before and it was horrid); if you MUST choose between these two, then go with Win98SE. However, my main windows box is W2K PRO and I play all my games on it with no problems.

~N~

If its between 98 and Me then definately go with 98. Never install Me!!! If I were you, though I would go with XP (if your comp can handle it). It has a compatibility option that allows you to run games/programs with compatibility for NT, 98/Me, 95 or 2000. The other day I was running red alert 95 edition which is meant to be used on DOS or 95 only with the compatibility option. You cant go wrong with it.

I think this has been covered, but 98 SE is what im running, and i believe its one of the best with the exception of Win 2000 Pro.
    Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not statistical chance...but rather a byproduct of our own will? That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who doesn\'t, but our own decisions?

-The Monk

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=148

98 for sure. ME is widely known as the crappiest Windows release yet.

However, I would pick WineX for gaming instead

win 98 se is not all that bad with all of the patches and plugins out there it can be made to run fairly well.
    If your puter has the steam I'd try xp pro
    But back too your original post ---dad uses windows--- load whatever os your pops wants then when he is not lookig load linux and use the boot disk option he {dad } won't even know it's there and it gives you the best of both worlds.
    I dual boot XP Pro / SuSe 7.3 Pro and love the setup I have tried 4 windows os's and 5 linux os's.
    This setup seems to give me the most versatility and speed.
    PS having the linux as second os will let you look at all of the win files on the hard drive as well as corying them then trying to modify them ex....pwl... but don't let your oldman catch you he might get pi33ed
    tired of being called an ass

Thanks folks, I think I will stick with Windows 98, I still need to reformat the pc though, because it as been running for 6 hours a day for 2 half years now though, and it's just became a big mess. The PC is an P3 733mb pc with 128mb and a 30gb hard disk, It does need upgrading, I am going to pick up some more ram before the prices go sky high, But I can't really do big upgrades to it because it is mainly my Dad's Pc which he does all his Work on. Anyway Thanks again

I don't know if this post is over yet but oh well...
    Go with 98 SE, Windows ME is a resource hog and tends not to handle things very well, I've had the most blue screens with it. If it were between XP and 2K, I would suggest 2K because it uses less resources. I'm sure there are things in XP that 2K doesn't have, but I wouldn't put the newest OS on a computer just because it's new. If I can get better performance out of the previous version with little to no feature loss...

Oh BTW, 98's Product updates are going to become obsolete soon, if they haven't already. I think MS stops the service 4 years after the OS has been released? You can still get the patches but it has to be done one by one, instead of with the downloader built into windows.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you