Thread: " can winmodem be used in linux? "

Question " can winmodem be used in linux? "

hello friends
    well... i use red hat linux 6.2 along with win 98 in a dual lilo boot system,,,, i have a motorola SM56 56kbps voice modem and i use dial up connection to connect to internet,, now i want to use the net through linux ,,, and i 'm having problems configuring my modem with linux,,so can any1 tell me the procedure to configure my modem in linux and other settings so that i get optimum speed form my dial up conection,, also that if i have to download special drivers for my modem to work i n linux?
    any help will be highly welcomed
    thanx in advance
    vpandiya

I think the config/boot message says, when you're installing, "You can a winmodem, you might have to visit http://www.linmodems.org/ for a driver" or something like that (heavily paraphrased). Then again, I might be thinkiing of Mandrake rather than RedSplat.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

well my freind i had earlier seen the site u mentioned in ur reply,, but i didn't get the
    matter i was in look for,, for ur info i tell u that i use a SM56 motorola voice modem which i
    guess is a winmodem,,,, so if u guys can tell me that how can i surf the net using this modem on lijux then i wil lbe greatly helpful
    vpandiya

Go to www.GOOGLE.COM
    search for the exact name of your modem, along with
    the word linux. That's how I found a driver
    for my winmodem, (and ,yes, it works)
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

unfortunately linux does not support winmodems , and as far as I know you can not do enything exept writing a driver for linux by your own.
    I would like to mention that 99% of internal PCI modems are winmodems.
    So you should buy an ISA or eternal one.

There was a tutorial written about this by one of our members.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/showthread...hreadid=229021

Be sure to check out the forums, there is a wealth of information available here.

Regards
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

I'm not sure if this will help you, but it helped me to get my winmodem working in linux:

Check out
    http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Hope this helps.

Banned
    Damn Chefer, I was going to direct him there

Here's what I know...
    Most RPM driven distro's (ie: redhat, Mandrake) have drivers for chipless modems, just gotta do the search for it.
    However, DEB driven distro's (ie: Corel Linux) does not... not sure why, either because not enough people use it, or it's harder to write drivers for...

Just a little hint in choosing types of distros...

You know, when I see a good thing, I remeber it. That tut happened to be a good thing
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Hope this helps.
    even with the amount of pep complaining about neg dumping etc I am so pleased to see people using this phrase - ' hope it helps'

this shows that people of AO are happy to help those amongst us who have good ques to ask!! With peps still willing to offer their time like the very king peolpe of this thread to help another AO'r then this site will always remain a comunity of which I am glad to be a member!!

v_Ln