Thread: APs for thread "popularity?"

APs for thread "popularity?"

Ok, first off, let me just say that I already know this idea needs work, at best... but I wanted to throw it out on the table for people to bat around and perhaps for JP to do his famous "thinking it to death" (LOL - we luv ya JP - you know it... HeHe)

Anyway, I was thinking about having a thread's "popularity" reflect back in to your APs in some form... either positive or negative. Now that JP has some intelligence built-in to "rate" a given thread, perhaps it would be a neat addition to enhance the APs (or even split them off in to subcategory) for thread "popularity." Say, for each page worth of posts, the overall positive or negative balance of the thread somehow reflects back in to your APs (or even another "post starter" statistic... like "Top 10 Post Starters" and "Bottom 10 Post Starters" by overall rating, number of replies, etc).

Yeah, I know other people have suggested this elsewhere (as have I). But just thinking it might be a neat idea... though JP is (obviously) the big mind behind the magic of the APs.

Recap and general ideas...
    1. Starting a thread is worth very little to the "point value" (which may or may not be the same as APs)
    2. As more people reply, the thread is more "valuable"
    3. As the thread shifts towards the green, the "point value" goes up in multiples
    4. As the thread shifts towards the red, the "point value" drops in multiples

Yes... I know there's probably some possible abuses in there... post whoring would have a whole new ramification. Maybe the post count would have to take in to account "posters with positive AP values" and not count multi-posters (ie. someone like P2P posting would have a much greater effect than a n00b or a nearly-banned user posting).

In any case, I understand this idea is very rough (and probably tough to understand considering I think I've slept about three hours in the last 72 or more hours - and that's caffeine only.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

one of the big problems would be if sombody started a good thread about...say protecting yourself against trojans, then sombody came in and asked "where can i get sub7 so i can see if by bestfriends girlfriend is protected against it because i think she's cheating on me and him at the same time with my teacher who gave me a homework assignment to find it?", that person would obviously get slammed like no tomorow, and your total would go WAY down because of it.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Good point, 8*B@LL... thanks... (like I said, it needs work... LOL)
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by draziw
    Good point, 8*B@LL... thanks... (like I said, it needs work... LOL)
    Yeah 8*B@LL's right. I was thinking about this and I have no idea how to count antipoints of other posts in your threads. Because you can never predict how will people reply. Absurdly taken some peole could start fake account then under that new names reply to your threads with crap and lower you status or whatever. So how about to reduce your idea only on number of reactions to the thread you started?? (your own replies won't be counted of course). It's the only way I can find right now.

And to be completely honest I don't thing that this category of antipoints racing is needed. Even now we have here some people that think that the only point of this site is to be the "greenies hunter". If we have also some greenies or whatever from starting threads I think many people will post thousands of uselles thing like I just read this SUPER article etc etc...
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Banned
    Greetings All:

I appreciate the suggestion. However, the AntiPoint System is designed to rank people as individuals, based on their individual contributions to the community. Overall ranks of a thread don't fit into that picture well at all.

thread closed.