Thread: NEWS: Filipino claims to be JPEG virus author

Cool NEWS: Filipino claims to be JPEG virus author

Paul Glenerson B. Amurao, a 21 year old Filipino, has claimed in a media interview to be the author of the first virus to attempt to infect .JPG graphic files. Amurao, who says he lives in a province north of Metro Manila, Philippines, said he was the author of W32/Perrun-A in an interview he gave to INQ7.Net.

Amurao claimed that he wrote the virus using Microsoft Visual Basic 6, bought from a local retailer during a school fair at the University of the Philippines.

In the interview Amurao claimed that W32/Perrun was "like a time-triggered bomb waiting to explode."

"This is perhaps what virus researchers are afraid of. But thank god, somehow I was able to make them aware," he added.

"W32/Perrun-A is more hype than havoc. The virus is not in the wild, is not likely to be, and the JPEG infection method only works if the user is already infected by a Windows executable virus," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos Anti-Virus."However, it's disturbing to see another virus being written in the Philippines, and that malware authors over there may consider it a cool thing to do."

The Philippines is no stranger to virus writing, being the birth place of the Love Bug (or VBS/ LoveLet-A worm) which spread around the world in May 2000. Onel de Guzman, the suspected author of the Love Bug, was detained by the authorities but later released without charge because the Filipino authorities did not have sophisticated computer crime laws at the time of the offence. Laws designed to combat computer misuse were only introduced in June 2000 by the Philippines authorities as a result of the Love Bug incident.

Sophos has issued protection against W32/Perrun-A to customers concerned by the media reports and alerts from other anti-virus vendors.

Source: http://www.xatrix.org/article1643.html

I really dont know whats wrong with filo hackers but ermm.. WHY DA **** DO DEY ALWAYS GO TO THE PRESS AND SAY THEY MADE THE GOD DAMN VIRUSES?!!!

Either they are just AMAZINGLY BRAVE.. or AMAZINGLY STUPID!!!

i got nuffin against with filos coz im a filo myself.. i just get annoyed with people who bloody goes to public and claims they did this and that w/o knowing how dumb this could be!

I tihink that is already been posted:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=230966

Simon Templer
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

I really dont know whats wrong with filo hackers but ermm.. WHY DA **** DO DEY ALWAYS GO TO THE PRESS AND SAY THEY MADE THE GOD DAMN VIRUSES?!!!

Either they are just AMAZINGLY BRAVE.. or AMAZINGLY STUPID!!!
    Maybe his amazed and overwhelmed by his work. Yup, you're right, it's a stupid thing to go to the press and says he's the author of the virus.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

i got nuffin against with filos coz im a filo myself..
    Sonic.. you're a filo ? could you translate this for us ? (actually, i know but i'm testing you)

magandang dalaga saan ka pupunta ma maya ? ( i hope i got that right.. and no, i'm not filo but my father was stationed there in the korean war)

magandang dalaga saan ka pupunta ma maya ?
    Hey! sOnIc, i can give you a hint. "pupunta" means going.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

From what I know that means "Beautiful young woman, where you going later?"

From what I understood, the 'virus' is really nothing new. The individual functions have been around for a long time, and the creator just strung a few things together in a weird way. Nothing earthshattering. <shrug>
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Beautiful young woman, where you going later?
    LOL yep.. ey i left phils 3 years ago.. i can still fully remeber Tagalog and my own dialect "Bisaya" (which is like 75% spanish).. :P

i moved here to sydney when i was 16.. so i guess i still perfectly remember everything back in phils.. even my own "Barkada"