Thread: Cisco PIX Emulator?

Question Cisco PIX Emulator?

I'm looking for a pretty good PIX emulator so that I can tinker for a while before dropping $500 - $15K on a PIX for hom use. Sure, I know that I could google it, but I'm really looking for some people to stand up and say, "hey ... I've used X, and it's really good!" or, "I've used Y and it blows donkeys ... don't spend your money on it.".

Of course, I'm a broke-*#$* Cisco guy (have only worked with IOS, though), so cost is a pretty big part of this. However, if I can buy garbage for $100 or a really nice simulation for $500 ... it's a no-brainer.

Thanks in advance; hopefully something'll turn up.

~N~

Nietzsche,

Ive worked with Router Emulators, but I dont think I have ever seen a Pix Emulator. If you have worked with IOS before, then you should not have much difficulty configuring a Pix. If you are still unsure of configuring the Pix, cisco has a Pix Device Manager which can assist you in configuring it.
    But like I said....the configuration of a Pix is fairly simple.
    Os1LaYr5

I also don't know of a PIX emulator. I would recommend just getting the book from Cisco Press:

http://ciscopress.com/catalog/product.asp?st={78DE136E-5AFE-41A8-8BD4-F827DC665790}&session_id={ACA578B6-4B31-4270-8C70-1D16AA1792AC}&product_id={DD5D9082-5332-44DA-9AC7-E7D9D91035C6}

It is only about 30 bucks, and is really good. If you know IOS, it will not be too difficult to learn the PIX OS. Also there are alot of good configuration examples on cisco's website. IMO...that is all you really need.

PIX emulator....never seen/heard of one.

If you know how to use IOS, you should be able to tackle the PIX. I learned a lot about the PIX from Cisco's PIX support page http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Suppor...=Hardware:PIX.

As for the PDM (PIX Device Manager), I taught myself to config the PIX via command line. I then tried to config using the PDM and was not overly confident of it's accuracy. I made a few config changes and saved them. When I went into the PIX via command line I noticed a some of my changes took, but a few did not??? The PDM is nice for viewing stats on th PIX though (ie cpu, memory utilization).
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

Most of the remote CCIE labs have a pix available on the rack. I help run a virtual lab that includes a PIX 506 and we hope to pick up another one for the site to site VPN stuff. If you'd like to give it a go drop me an email. The training center I work with has low cost and some no cost access. We should be starting a CCS1 study group pretty soon for anyone in the DFW, Texas area.
    --m0use

I download a demo of Networks Emulator that contains a pix, a router, a switch emulator, but i cant get the crack or serial to register. if anyone gets the full version or non demo version please let us know.

DARN IT!!! Why did I have to find this thread four years too late? I live in the DFW now!