Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing open ports on your system

Question Closing open ports on your system

Ok Guyz Help me out on how to close or block ports which are open.
    suppose my Netbios port 139 is listening to connection so how do I shut it.
    For example I need to shut access to my 4783 port.
    Any program recommended other than firewalls...

Http://2exxxtreme.cjb.net/
    \"I am on a quest for knowledge. \"
    \" If you think I am insane,so, whatchya gonna do about it, coz thats the way I am , thats the way it is , and thats the way its gonna be and no S.O.B can stop me in doing so. \"
    \" If you don\'t like me B I T E me \"

Hello !! Any one Has the answer ??!!
    \" If you think I am insane,so, whatchya gonna do about it, coz thats the way I am , thats the way it is , and thats the way its gonna be and no S.O.B can stop me in doing so. \"

Banned

Question Why not get a firewall?

They're free and many are user friendly by allowing you to set a rule once and it'll always use that

Many good ones are listed in the forum. I recommend Zone Alarm for a first time user, and then Tiny or Agnitum for those who feel comfortable about configuring specific connection types and ports

[Edit]Sorry, I only had a list of good AV here, so just search the forum for info about Firewalls

ports are only open when you have a service using it. turn off a service close the port.

you can protect yourself by using a firewall.

it isn't that no one has any answers for you, people get tired answering the same question. if you want alot of info on this subject do a forum search
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

there is a program named "Attacker" which listens to specific ports and alarm when detects a connection. ( the UPD and TCP port numbers can be added , modefied or changed by user ).
    web: http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/...detection.html

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    like the others have already said firewalls let u close certain ports...and closing certian services that run on certian ports is probably the safest way...to shutdown services on win2k or XP u go to start --> admin tools --> services. once there look for the service running on the port u want to close and click stop once that service is highlighted...hope that helps
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

If NETBIOS port 139 is listening you need to shut down NETBIOS. If you don't know
    how to do it, post again and ask, and I will post a link to some instructions.
    By the way, as the others said, you really need a firewall no matter what
    services you're running or not running.

PS. If you make a post and no one answers quickly, don't post again
    like you did on this thread. Be patient. Some times of the day and
    week are slow (e.g. Sunday morning). Your attitude and conduct will
    determine what you get out of this site and other people's willingness
    to help you. I've found most people on this site on more than willing
    to help people even as ignorant as I am. Not a flame, just some advice
    I hope will help.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

If you make a post and no one answers quickly, don't post again
    like you did on this thread. Be patient. Some times of the day and
    week are slow (e.g. Sunday morning). Your attitude and conduct will
    determine what you get out of this site and other people's willingness
    to help you. I've found most people on this site on more than willing
    to help people even as ignorant as I am. Not a flame, just some advice
    I hope will help.
    Ok I'm sorry guyz,
    I won't do it again.
    Thanks for the Help.

Sometimes, if you are dealing with Micro$oft, turning off the service will not entirely shutdown the port. I have seen several times where removing windows network, netbios, etc, still leaves port 139 listening; however, you get nothing if you try to connect, but it is open nonetheless.

If you insist on not using a personal firewall (bad choice), you could, if you are using something like NT (you didn't give your OS other than it was microsoft) do some tcp/ip port filtering (if memory serves it was under advanced tcp/ip options). If you are using something like 95/98/me, you, other than turning the service off, are not going to be able to stop it.

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Best advice, install a firewall and configure it correctly. On a side note, if you need to know which ports are currently open, use fport from Foundstone. It's a command line tool that will give you a list of open ports and the associated application. Available at http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/proddesc/fport.html
    - Maverick