Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C or C++

C or C++

I was thinking about learning C or C++ but im not sure which to learn, could someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of each. Thanx trials
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

Start straight with C++, that's what I did, and now I've already made a PONG clone
    Seriously, some might say that it's easier to start with C, but if you think you need to start from as easy as possible, start with PASCAL.
    C++ has all the features C does and even more. Just buy a copy of "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" and start coding like a madman. Also a reference book of Assembly language would be great, you never know when you might need it

Yes indeed, C++ is very EZ to learn and use but if you are tottaly new to programing...might I suggest useing Visual Basic if you are "TOTTALY" new to programing.

Peaple often scoff VB because "THEY SAY" there isn't much you can do with it but it is !VERY! EZ for nooBz. The only bad thing about it is you don't get alot to work with.

Stay away from J++ though..... it is crap.

thanx, i think ill go with c++ then i allready know quite a bit of vb but i want something to learn on my linux box.
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

C++ would be a better choice. Most programming languages these days are object oriented. There is some support for them in C with structs, but C++ is easily more easily fleshed out (full objects, operator overloading, templating, etc). Once you get the OOP down, go back and look at C, you'll be glad you learned c++ first (not knocking C, it can just be a little bit harder on the eyes to read).

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    Just becareful of the tools you use to learn. Alot of them asume you have a background in C. I took a training course from Hands-On Technology Tranfer (Do Not Use Their Services, TRUST ME). The class was C++ For Non C Programmers. The first two days was going over C, and then C experienced students joined for the last three days, and it was a C++ class.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    well i think C is best u can use the borland compiler it is free....so u dont have to pay for visual c++....borland also compiles C++ i think not completely sure but C has alway been prefered over C++...gl
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

But trial wants to learn on linux box, so there's always gcc which does really great job! no need for m$ visual nor borland then
    I'd still say, go straight to c++

well you always have gcc/g++ that are free under gnu....

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

yup long live gnu